Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SPK2

• Please log in to reply

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:) This is not a new problem but I am getting to end of the line. I have never been able to download the Service Pack 2 for XP...the download just stops and then I get a black screen (safe mode) and have to do a system restore to get back to where I was. A friend of mine gave me the MS disc for SPK2 and the same thing happened. He cannot understand why I cannot complete the download. He is suggesting that I delete my pictures (I have lots & lots) and that may free up space, however the new "end of the line" problem is that sites that I visit will no longer support Explorer 7...so...you guessed it...I cannot download Explorer 8 because it says my system will not support it.
My question: Is there any way to salvage this PC or am I looking at buying a new one?
Respectfully submitted
[email protected]

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your operating system is grossly out of date. Why replace the computer? You can, as a last resort, clean format and reinstall XP, SP-3 and another fifty odd updates that were released by microsoft.

Please write down some of your computer specs. Specifically: CPU model, amount of RAM, hard disk volume and free volume on the hard disk.

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Pentium R 4CPU2.26GHz
256 MB Ram
Where do I find hard disk volume and free volume??
I keep getting a message about no more virtual memory..

If I clean format and reinstall XP won't all be lost? If I can I would rather avoid a new PC at this time.
Thanks

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
74.5 GB 34.5 free sound right?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Open My Computer and right click local disk C: > properties. Write down "capacity" and "free space". If you see more "local disk"s please report the same.

Your computer is quite old but it may be sufficient for your needs. RAM is very small and you could benefit a lot by adding at least 512 MB. Please report the information about your hard disk.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your disk has enough free space but it's RAM and virtual memory are too small to handle all the required task. I strongly advise adding RAM. Meanwhile please do the following:

Start > right-click My Computer > properties > Advanced > Settings in "performance" > Advanced > Change in "virtual memory". Check "custom size" and type 1000 in "initial size" and 2000 in "maximum size. Click "set" > OK > OK and reboot the computer.

Please note: very often the installation of SP-2 (or SP-3) fail when done on long running computers. If that happen, you may have to clean install windows. To get a better chance please do the following:

Run a complete virus scan.
Run disk cleanup and defragmantation.
Reboot and disable your antivirus.
Install sp-2

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It took all afternoon and now (8:30 pm) the virus scan froze up and I had to push the button to shut the PC down. It would not respond any other way. Now everything is slower than before. Do I still defrag etc???? I even had trouble getting back to my e-mail and this post!
WHAT is wrong with this darned PC????

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Being so outdated your windows installation is very vulnerable to malware. You can try XP repair as described in the link in my list below but frankly, what this computer need is the addition of at least 512 MB of RAM, backup of your data, reformat, reinstallation of XP and upfating all the way up to the last updates. You can keep running the computer with 256 MB of RAM but don't expect much.

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK...I have done the clean disk and the defrag and am ready to reboot, disable the antivirus and try to install SP2. If that doesn't work....how do I get additional RAM..? You are dealing with a novice here!!!
Thanks
PS: Any opinion on Windows 7 in case I give up and buy new?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Buy a module of 512 MB of DDR400. This is the fastest of the DDR family. If the one you have in your computer is slower, the computer will adjust the speed of the new module to that of the others. If you can't find 512 MB then buy a module of 1 gigabyte. The difference in price is not much. Usually you try to buy modules of the same manufacturer but that is not essential.

If you want to double check then download and install Crucial Scanner from here. The scanner will test your computer and tell you what memory type you need. If you are not sure, post the results here and we'll help you.

Re. the operating system. Windows 7 is definitely going to be the standard in the next few years. One thing that I am not sure about is if win 7 drivers were written for the motherboard of your computer. If not, then some systems (audio, VGA etc) may not work. You should check this point before bying win 7. Another consideration is that XP is so popular and common, and Microsoft more or less promised to support it in the foreseenable future, that I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. This will be a sure shot and a cheaper one too.

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok. I did the things that you suggested and tried to install SP2 and now I have a black screen with Safe Mode etc. and cannot get back to a System Restore prompt. Can you help with that? I did back up my stuff on an external backup systems....can I restore from that?

When I asked about Windows 7, I meant the new PCs have it....Do I want it???? I have always liked XP up until now.

thank you again

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
You don't need IE8, just get firefox or chrome as they are both highly supported on the internet and even work with anything newer than windows 2000 like xp, vista, and 7

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have XP CD use it to boot to recovery console. If not, download Recovery Console from my links below. Also download and install BurnCDCC. Use BurnCDCC to burn the ISO file which makes up the first download and create a bootable CD. Boot to Recovery console and follow the instructions in this link.

Like I said: if you plan to keep the present computer you must make sure that there are drivers made for your hardware to run WIN 7. If you like XP then go for it. With XP you will not have any driver problem. This is a serious consideration because it applies not only to the computer but to peripherials as well (printer etc.)