Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN problems

• Please log in to reply

onehanded

onehanded

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI all,

I have read alot of posts about this topic but have yet to find a solution.

I am house sitting a house that has an ethernet cord for internet connection. All I want to do is connect to the internet using the cord. So I should just be able to connect the cord to my laptop and off I go?

Well the 'limited or no connection' icon is coming up and it's not connecting to the internet. I am at an internet cafe now, so annoying!!

I haven't got the internet acount information so I can't even plug in my router and set that up. What do I do!!??

I am running windows xp with service pack 3 on an Asus laptop.

Thanks in advance
David

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
That depends on what type of connection you have there. If it's DSL in a house with a single computer, you are probably connected directly to the modem. In that case, you'll most likely need to ask the homeowner for their username and password.

Can you explain a little more about the setup?

onehanded

onehanded

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It is a DSL connection.
So the modem is plugged into the computer.
It is a siemens modem and the people have left a laptop, a Mac and it works on this. I plug my asus laptop in and I get the limited connection icon.

I am not able to contact the owners as they have gone away for a month. I am in germany and this Mac laptop is in german, so i am limited to the what i can do on it and i also need my laptop to do work on.