Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

domer07

domer07

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
My display goes black at random times. I thought it was updated video driver I recently installed. The problem was originally isolated to Windows Media Player. I reinstalled old, original driver from video card - (4 years old) and WMP worked OK. Then while randomly surfing e-mail, screen went to black again. The only way I have found to get the display back is to re-boot. The display is about 8 years old - a dinosaur CRT. Status light on monitor is flashing - seems to indicate it is waiting for signal from OS or is constant green, indicating it is on-line with OS, but no display.

It seems to be associated with excess mouse clicking - like going back and forth between open windows, different programs.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Radeon 9250 card with original driver
Windows XP Home

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Swap monitors with another computer. If the problem follows your monitor to the 2nd computer, you know your monitor is failing. If the 2nd monitor does the same thing on your computer, you know the problem is with your computer. This is the only way to eliminate the monitor from the equation.

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I bought a new LCD monitor. Still having the freezing/screen going dark problem.
Further research showed some error messages in System Event Viewer. Because of that, I started a new post.

Now if I can just figure out how to close topics :)