Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

post-update to Service Pack 2, apps dying w/ errors - report to Micros

• Please log in to reply

VulcanBrat

VulcanBrat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys.

Here's my problem:

Shortly after updating my Dell XP with Service Pack 2, too many apps started shutting down... Nero, various games, MMJB, FreeMediaConverter, my local tv station's version of Weatherbug (Wnep.com - "desktop-16")

Now I re-install each app, get one (1) usage, then it dies after app is shut down. Each time accompanied by a pop-up of Report to Microsoft.

MicrosoftMoney was wiped out entirely (now working off 2000 demo, have to change the date when I use it to 2000... however, backup files were not affected)

AND I noticed the arrival of a folder on the C drive...
<C/Windows/System32/DRVSTORE> It and all the folders and files within are BLUE.
(they start with hpF2400, hpoF2400, hpzid413, hpzip13, hpzipa13, & hpzius13.)

I lost all of my shortcuts; including system tray, taskbar, and quick launch last night. (basically left with desktop background and a moving mouse) Got a full screen warning to restart Windows, and a memory dump was taking place. This happened when my daughter (16) was playing a cd-rom game, and didn't tell me about the error for about 12 minutes.

I even got a screen saying "Activate your product". I called whatever third world country answered, and went through the procedure with product key and type in the fields. It worked! ... UNTIL I restarted. Back to square one.

After a few hours of mental torment, I opened Task Mgr and found that everything was still there, just had to go find them (no windows). I played a few games, hit the web, and went to sleep. (PC still on)

Tonight I opened Task Mgr again, and found 7 'explorer.exe' apps running. I rid myself of 6, then my sanity returned... desktop to normal. I haven't dared shut it down since!

Okay ... how to fix the APP's that get one use, find a working MSMoney, and what's the blue folder?

Mike

Advertisements