Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP, keyboard getting stuck on repeat/button switching

• Please log in to reply

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Alright. So I'm stumped... I've been doing IT work for years and I can't figure this one out, so I need a second opinion..or third.. On a side note, been a looonnggg time since I posted here..lol.

Somehow my keyboard (and I only notice this in FPS games..more cause of the face paced hitting of the buttons I think is doing it).. sometimes my Q and A buttons random get switched, or Z and W... Or W A S or D get stuck on repeat.

I think I've tracked it down to some combination of me hitting my L.Alt and L.Shift and maybe L.Ctrl (crouch and prone keys on FPS games I play) simultaneously with one of the WSAD keys. This seems to only work for the repeating aspect of the problem I'm having. Every once and awhile I can keep hitting alt/shift/ctrl and the button that is repeating and it'll stop. The reason I think this might be tied to these keys is because I have yet to have it happen anywhere out of CoD4/Rainbow Six where your constantly crouching/going prone etcetc and so I'm hitting those keys veryvery often.

I haven't been able to track down the button switching as of yet. This one seems to happen a lot whether in RPG or FPS games.

I've poked around google a little bit and really couldn't find anything.

Windows XP Pro SP3 (Fully updated from Microsoft Updates as of 12/16)
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core 2.41GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Sapphire Raedon 4850 GDDR5 2GB
300GB Western Digital 7200RPM
Onboard VIA High-Def Audio
G9 Laser Mouse
Ideazon MERC gaming keyboard

So... Any ideas?

-Mike

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 - Deadeye – [Windows XP Keyboard keeps getting stuck] (19 Dec 2009)

How old is the keyboard?

First try setting Keyboard -

1. Open [Control Panel] – then Open [keyboard] . . ..
2. Then adjust -- [Repeat Delay]
3. then adjust - [Repeat Rate]

Jack123

Attached Thumbnails

• 001_Keyboard.jpg

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi Jack,

Yeah that's actually just about my exact settings in my control panel, the only real difference is I have my repeat rate set all the way up, I didn't think that would cause any problems -- I've always done this in the past with previous computers.. I can try with the repeat rate lower, if you think that might be it. Like I said, it doesn't seem to happen *all the time* - Just when some combination of buttons (seems to ne alt/shift, maybe ctrl?) are pressed with conjunction of one of the alphanumeric keys.

I've tried this with 2 separate keyboards. One of them was ~3 years old, and my brand new keyboard that I just got about 3 weeks ago. Currently using a Steelseries Ideazon MERC gaming board. I've tried with and without the keyboard zEngine software loaded, still getting the same results.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 - Deadeye – [Windows XP Keyboard keeps getting stuck] (19 Dec 2009)

Deadeye -

The setting that will help in – eliminating repeat mode is the – Delay . . .

Increase the delay = Increase delay of typematic (Would permit you to hold the keys longer before repeating starts . . . (This should be set to long

Decrease the Rate = Decreases the number of times the key repeats during hold time . . . This will have the least effect . . .but you want this to be lower . . .

There is not much difference in the adjustment range --

Jack123

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Jack,

I went down to these settings and played CoD for about an hour after I posted. Still getting the same results.

Posted Image

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03 - Deadeye – [Windows XP Keyboard keeps getting stuck] (19 Dec 2009)

Deadeye – There is not a lot of resolution – but you should try these settings –

• Long delay
• Slow Rate
• None Blink Rate

Jack123

Attached Thumbnails

• 001_Keyboard_2_copy.jpg

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Alright, I tried those settings as well. Still getting the repeat, and button switching. Think I'll just end up having to live with this from the looks of it.

artistech

artistech

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Not sure if you're still struggling with this problem, but I was! and I think I just figured it out. If you go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, then to the Languages Tab, then push the Details button, you should see an option that says "Key Settings." Open it, then click Change Key Sequence and make sure both boxes are unchecked. That should fix it!