Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Product key Change pls help

• Please log in to reply

tom468

tom468

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi, I have used this forum before and has always been very helpfull.

I have a new machine with no os. This is to replace an old machine that will be formatted and unused.

I have the original product key, but a copy of XP Home from a different machine so I need to change the kep.

I have modified the OOBETimer by changeing 2 digits and been throught the following..

Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a"
Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next
Click Change Product Key (at the bottom)
Enter your valid Product Key
Press Update and close the window.
If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later
Restart your computer

After the restart I go back into "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" and it does not tell me that Windows is activated! All is the same as before.

What can I do?

Thanks

Edited by tom468, 18 December 2009 - 06:28 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of XP license did you use? is it from a disk that shipped with the old computer? does the COA that came with it say OEM license?

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
The licence is probably a one-use licence that only works once, and I'm guessing its already been used so it's no longer valid to activate a new windows

tom468

tom468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The licence (product key) is on a label, which is on the side of the old machine.

The disc I am using came with a different machine which is why i need to change the key.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you didn't answer my question....you said you're trying to use the license from the old computer because you're getting rid of it....SINCE the sticker is actually on the side of the old computer then it is almost definitely an OEM license...which CANNOT be transferred to another machine. OEM licenses are tied to "qualifying hardware" (usually the motherboard or processor but could be anything). so you cannot install it on any other hardware profile (a new computer or even a new motherboard in the old computer)...you'll have to BUY a copy of XP if you want to install it on the new machine

tom468

tom468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for clearing that up. many thanks.