Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New system help please.

• Please log in to reply

Duc_Racer

Duc_Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just assembled a new system. During XP Pro install, after format and copying files, it doesn't recognize the hard drive. During the first reboot in the install it goes to the beginning of the process and starts all over again with a warning that it will erase existing files. While rebooting it shows HDD as none. But it apparently formatted properly the first time. Now it doesn't see it. It does recognize the two DVD drives and one CD drive.

HELP!!! Thank you

Gigabyte GA-K8n Ultra 9 mobo (Socket 939)
Athalon 64 3000+ (1.8 GHz)
1 GB Corsair RAM
Hitachi 160GB Sata 2 HDD
Leadtek PX6600 GT video card
DVD ROM
DVD RW
CD ROM

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Have you checked the bios to make sure sata hd is enable? You need to have the driver on a floppy to load during setup, F6 I believe. The driver should be on your mobo cd, and the mobo manual should tell you how to do it.

Duc_Racer

Duc_Racer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you.
Sata is enabled. Everything is enabled. But I didn't know you could run the CD on just the bios. I thought an OS had to be in place.
I'll try it.
Thanks again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What he is saying is that the manual will tell you how to extract the files to a floppy...then, when install starts, windows says to install special drivers press f6

then you insert the floppy with those drivers

Duc_Racer

Duc_Racer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Now I understand.

Thanks