Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hdd fails when data cables are attached

• Please log in to reply

romell90

romell90

• Pip
  • 3 posts
two problems

i just got an external drive (120 GB) and it would not show up on the computer. so i took the hard drive completely out and installed it into the computers motherboard manually and put it as a slave. still no sign of hard drive. it shows up when at boot, but, in folder my computer it does not.

other problem is.

i took my old slave hdd (30 gb) and placed it in the externals casing to see if it would show up. it didnt. i tried other hard drives in the casing and they show up fine. but now my old hdd (30 GB) wont show up at all back in my computer, not even at boot.
i tested to see if it was getting power and it was only if the data cords were not connected. and even when i power it up w/o powering the motherboard still no movement. is there something wrong with my hdd chip or the data cords?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under XP, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. You should get options to initialise the drive and from there you can format it.

Under all flavours of Windows unformatted disks do not appear in My Computer until they have been formatted.