Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Track file use on USB device

• Please log in to reply

Bobby8888

Bobby8888

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,

I'm looking to see if there is a way that I can find out more details of when files on my USB flash drive were viewed/copied.

I deleted folders from my drive using my Mac laptop before handing the drive to a colleague so they could copy what was left on the drive. I was very surprised to see that when I connect the drive to an XP machine - there is a folder marked .Trashed that is washed out. Sure enough, I could then access this folder and view all the files that I had intended to be deleted before sharing the drive! I had no idea this would happen!

So, I when use XP to see when the files were modified/accessed etc it basically tells me dates and times of when I viewed the folders after discovering this issue.

Is there anyway that I can find out how many times this .Trashed folder was viewed/copied?

All info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It's not something he put there, but a normal thing added to a flash drive when connected to a Mac. Basically it's a recycle bin for the flash drive. You can go ahead and delete it if you wish. It can also be disabled on the Mac so it doesn't happen again. If you look around, you'll probably find a file named .DS_Store too. That's another normal file I find on my flash drive after being connected to my Mac.

These files will also get added to a remote Windows client when you view shares from a Mac.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 21 December 2009 - 10:27 AM.

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Kinda like Windows adds System Volume Information (System Restore) and RECYCLER (Recycle Bin) to all drives too.