Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop advice please

• Please log in to reply

bigal40

bigal40

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I was given a umax laptop by my brother in law but i want to know can i upgrade and by how much it will cost.
specifications:- AMD-K6™ 3D processor
299 MHZ
96.0 MB of RAM

Can it be easily upgraded or is it not worth doing.
I want to use this laptop outside and be able to link up to a amplifier for use with backing tracks????
Please Help!!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You may be able to upgrade the RAM but be aware that your laptop will be using the older style of RAM not the current DDR version. You can probably also replace the hard drive with a slightly bigger one but this won't give you any more speed.

Apart from that, no its not upgradable.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Dont waste any money trying to upgrade. Its better just to buy a new laptop

bigal40

bigal40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for the advice folks. very much appreciated:)

Nodnerbial

Nodnerbial

• Pip
  • 7 posts
In my limited experience with my notebook - as anoobrew says - it is not worth upgrading them. The cost of all the components far outweighs what you can fork out to buy a whole new one. also in my limited experience: (I presume you aren't going to chuck the thing in the trash) RAM is the one thing you definately should buy more of - and if you plan on doing so, the sooner you do - the better. The longer you wait the more outdated it gets (yours already is), so the more expensive it gets, and eventually it will not be available at all :tazz:

So - if you do anything with it - put RAM in soon.

Edited by Nodnerbial, 24 May 2005 - 02:52 AM.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
yeah, I would not upgrade it and waste money on it.