Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good Programmes Protect Your Laptop

• Please log in to reply

laura91

laura91

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi, what i am looking for is a couple of good FREE programmes to keep my laptop proctected. So I am looking for ones to run checks for Malware, Spyware and Anti-Virus?

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
This is my personal choices

Antivirus: Avira Antivir
AntiSpyware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Firewall: PC Tools Firewall Plus..

Of course there are other free programs as well, but above are my personal choices..

Anyway, I'm transfer this topic to "Application" subforum..

laura91

laura91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
thanks appreciate it

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
well i use AVG Free, they updated it about 2 months ago and now it aciouly clenas your computer. i also use malwarebytes, i second that. malwarebytes is one of the BEST programs out there, it is recamended by almost every pro tech help site/forums. i also use kaspersky virus removal tool, this will ask to uninstall after each use, id say no if i were you. when there is a update though, you will have to uninstall kaspersky, and install the new one. (it will give oyu a link to the homepage) this is a very good program. i also use spywareblaster to get rid of spyware, it runs in the background for the most part.

you can get all these programs at www.kitkin15.tk
all of the programs are free, you will find them under : programs,fix it programs. pelase do NOT install hijack this unless you are asked to do so by someone with experence with it, i do not know how to read hijack this logs yet. hijack this is only used if NEEDED so you should no use it unless your infected and nothing else will work.

and when you go to that site, i am sorry about how it looks, i am currently trying to make it look better. and no i am not trying to permote my site, so i am not spamming th boards, i am just trying to help people out.

i also realize that this post is almost a month old, the reason i am still replying is because other people will most likely look, and this way they can also get help. i hope you find what your looking for, and remember than there is not 1 anti virus that offers "real time protections" that is why i have so many programs (spywareblaster may not be usefull if you have AVG Free, but i would rather not risk it)
only have one AV (anti virus) on your computer at a time, if oyu have more than one, they might tear each other apart. AVG Free is the only AV that i recamend. (not that avast isnt good, i just dont like the layout, and i never really have gaven them a chance)

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
If you're lookin' for password defense too, you should grab Password Protected Lock. FAR better than using the basic Windows password protections which even a baby can crack in five minutes :)

By the way, you should also have Spybot Search & Destroy on your laptop, as it is a very useful tool.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
kitkin15,

Your site is a good thought, but if I may make a few observations...

None of the links work. That's if they are links, which I don't think they are since the files all end in exe.
If it is just a file, I suspect that you will have a very hard time keeping current with all the versions.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
the links in my "programs" are eaither txt's or exe's. some of them are folders. what operating system do you use, i dont know if my site is good for macs or not(i know nothing about macs) and if your using something different than a computer, i dont have my site set up for that (like phone, blackberry, ect...) i will look into that right now though.

and another thing, i DO NOT recamend spybot s&d for anyone who does not read the instruction, this program can hurt your computer...if you DONT read the instructions. as long as you read it is a very usefull program(please download spybot S&D from the offical site, they will give you the instructions there, sorry i do not have the link on hand)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Don't worry about me. I will not use any thing that you have.
As I said, nothing works. That is for you to figure out.

If all you are going to do is just give the program, it does no one any good because they will not be updated.
I will not recommend your site.

As you can see in my signature I have many useful programs that I believe in.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i am going to keep my site updated, i promise that. and thanks for telling me that, i am now trying to fix that. this domain works though : kitkin.ath.cx, it hosted diff and i just checked and it works lol

Advertisements

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

the links in my "programs" are eaither txt's or exe's. some of them are folders. what operating system do you use, i dont know if my site is good for macs or not(i know nothing about macs) and if your using something different than a computer, i dont have my site set up for that (like phone, blackberry, ect...) i will look into that right now though.

The links don't work, tried on a PC (I have Windows XP, but that shouldn't matter). All it does is takes you to a blank page. No download starts or anything.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
yes i know that noe, and thanks for pointing that out =). i just recently started hosting my site myself, and i think i didnt change over compleatly yet. my other site, that is hosted by my friend is www.kitkin.ath.cx, this does work, i just tried it out.

this goes to 123 runner, i hope you didnt take what i said offensivly or anything, i wasnt trying to be rude. thanks for pointing out my probloms =) and if you know what it could be could you let me know? i posted a forum here: http://www.geekstogo...lp-t263872.html
thanks agin, to both of you =) and like i said kitkin.ath.cx works, and so does pehden.ath.cx/kit. they are the same exact thing. they do NOT have the same programs as kitkin15.tk does though, i will hopefully get this problom fixed in the next 2 days.

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Of course, I meant Spybot Search & Destroy from the official site.

Another useful tool (especially if you're wanderin' 'round at suspicious sites) is called UnHackMe. This application has lots of nice features, such as the RegRun Partizan, which you can devastate suspicious DLL files and applications which would try to run secretly behind your back. This is my favourite deep system protect program, although y'should be extremely careful wit' it, and y'must have some knowledge to distinguish friendly files from harmful ones, or else UnHackMe shall crash yer system.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok i might check that program out. and i know you ment get it from the offical site, i was just letting everyone else know...a bout a year ago i messed up my internet because i didnt read the instructions lol. it was a quick fix (i didnt know anything about computers than...now im helping everyone else around me lol)

pehden

pehden

• Pip
  • 2 posts
lol, must i follow your trail kit Removed references to hacking

Edited by sari, 09 January 2010 - 05:57 AM.