Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antimalware killed my system

• Please log in to reply

JeffXP

JeffXP

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi:

Antimalware attacked.

Has been removed but now computer locks, restore is gone, and mscorwks.dll won't load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you run the computer at all, even limping? Did you try safe mode?

You didn't supply any details about your computer so I assume that this is a computer for which you have XP installation CD. As I see it you have 3 options:

1: Place the XP CD in the drive and click Exit when windows show up. Click Start > Run. In the dialog box type sfc /scannow (please note the space before /). Let the process run to the end, at which the dialog box just disappears. Take the CD out and reboot. If not successful go to option 2.

2: XP repair as described in the link in my list below. If not successful go to 3.

3: Backup your data, reformat and reinstall everything.

JeffXP

JeffXP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. Tried "repair install" from XP disc. The systems stops at the infamous "34 minute" mark.

Cannot see the link in your response in item 2.

Can't backup because system locks.

To make matters worse safe mode is out because repair install with xp cd won't complete.

Pretty screwed, eh?

Still trying to get repair running after 34 min point.

Thanks

Jeff

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This is the link to XP repair.

JeffXP

JeffXP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks.

Did that about 20 times. System just gets worse.

Really need an outside idea here.

Best and thank you,

Jeff

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When XP installation or repair sticks at 34 minutes it's usually because of a hardware problem. For some reason I don't think this is the case with your computer. There are few things that you can do:

To find if the source of the problem is in the hardware or sodtware try to run it on liuks to keep away from windows environment. Use the link in my list below to download Puppy Linux which is a very small operating system which is loaded and run from the RAM. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Also download and install BurnCDCC. Burn the ISO file to a CD to create a bootable linux CD. Boot with the CD and see if the system is functioning. If it does, try to open folders to see that the hard disk is reachable and functioning.

If Linux doesn't work then you have to test your RAM first. This is done with a bootable CD of memtest which you can download from my list. A second test is for the hard disk. For this we will need to know the make of the HD and download a diagnostic tool made by the manufactrer.