Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not able to log on to account

• Please log in to reply

Jeffersonian

Jeffersonian

• Pip
  • 7 posts
There's just no corner of [heck] hot enough for people who write this stuff.

I booted the desktop machine earlier today and got a very persistent Adaware warning that some sort of unnamed spyware was found on my machine, along with a message that Adaware was scanning to remove it. A number of nuisance websites spawned whenever I tried to get to certain websites. McAfee also said it had detected a virus and cleaned it...sorry, I don't recall the name. Adaware found a number of undesirable apps and deleted them, and I thought I was okay. I shut the machine down.

Just now, I tried to reboot the machine and got to the account selection/sign-on screen (I'm using XP...Home version, I think), but when I try to log on to my account, I get the wallpaper for a few seconds, then the machine logs me out and returns to the account/sign-on screen. When I try to start in safe mode to run HijackThis, I get BSOD.

I am posting this from my laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Jeffersonian, 19 December 2009 - 04:55 PM.

Advertisements