Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI Radeaon 9250 vs ATI radeaon 9250SE

• Please log in to reply

aznblade1

aznblade1

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
whats the difference between those two? im lost is one better or one not better lol

Advertisements

BoyScout

BoyScout

• Pip
  • 4 posts
well all the SE means its its a second edition. So i guess newer is better.

teampots

teampots

• Pip
  • 1 posts
well SE means its a special edition, and has a narrower memory interface, like how the 9600SE has a 64 bit memory interface while the 9600 has 128bit

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
so.... is the se verson better ? would the memory do anything to the memory card?

can it handle:
Lineage 2
Guildwars
RF Online
WoW ( World of Warcraft )
WC3
Counter-Strike
HL2 (Half life 2)

EDIT - sorry if i posted the wrong section im kinda new here at the moment

Edited by aznblade1, 17 May 2005 - 12:38 PM.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
yes, by technical structure, the se is better, the only reason it came out se because something on it was fixed. i believe it is the same with le (limited edition).

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
actually, the SE is usually something to avoid. the memory interface in this case is smaller- that equals slower performance.
the 9250 series from ATI is running right near the bottom of supported cards for most newer games these days. check out this link to compare ATI card specs- there is only the highest end version of the 9250 even on it...

I would suggest at least a 9600XT, with a 9800 series being better than that, and something that will still last a while, on a budget.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
well, i see the interface as a minor setback when most other aspects are better, but in the case of the 9600, 64mb pretty much sucks.
btw, what does xt stand for? accually, im an Nvidia guy myself so i havent really kept up with ati

Nixx

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
would 1 gig ram make the video card faster?>

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you mean RAM on the video card?
the amount of ram on the card allows more of the textures and images in the game to be stored there, as opposed to in system ram or needing to be accessed from the HD.
the more images are readily available on the card, the better the video performance.
some games require certain amounts of ram on the video card to display at certain resolutions- again, the textures are stored in ram on the card, so it can draw those very fine, hi-res details very quickly.

a card with 1 gig of ram is gonna cost around a grand right now. a 128MB is good enough for most games, with a 256MB card being better, and still affordable. its more about the chipset on the card, the numer of pipes, speed of the card engine, etc.
for about $150-$200 right now, you could get a decent (but older model) video card with either 128 or 256 of ram. as the price goes up, you start getting into the newer cards, which have better speeds, more pipes, better performance.
oh yeah...ATI has the all in wonder line. they are great, but if you dont plan on watching/recording tv on your PC, go with a standard radeon. the all in wonder stuff costs more...a standard radeon will allow you to get a better card for the same amount of money.