Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Items

• Please log in to reply

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I am confused about what is needed for startup programs on my PC. At times when forced to utilize techs, one has said only a few startup items are needed and a current tech has turned on ALL of the startup items which are quite numerous.

I am not experienced enough to make decisions about startup items.
I have made two bitmaps to attach but try as I might they will not do so. Not sure what I am doing wrong. :) They seem to be loading but when finished, nothing shows that anything was uploaded. Have included my PC specs if they are needed. Can advise?

Dell XPS 400 Dimension

XP Pro Version 2002 SP3

Pentium ® D CPU 2.80 GHz

2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB Ram

Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 9400

Sound Card – Sigma Tel High Defin.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach the file to your next reply.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Had bit of a problem finding autoruns.txt but got it and have attached same. Awaiting your advice :)

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Re-run Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab and UN-check following items:

+ "EzPrint"
+ "GrooveMonitor"
+ "ISUSScheduler"
+ "KernelFaultCheck"
+ "lxdxmon.exe"
+ "NvCplDaemon"
+ "nwiz"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"

Restart computer and all unnecessary startups listed above won't run anymore.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Will follow through with suggestions but have run into another problem. Do not know just what I did but have run into a blue screen and cannot do anything on my desktop (XP Pro) PC. Am on my laptop (win7). Can anyone on this site assist me in getting my desktop back in operation?

At the time I was trying to install Spy Doctor thinking it was either a free version or a trial version. When I found out it was neither, I then was trying to find out the cost and somewhere along the way - the blue screen popped up. Will sure appreciate any help I can get from here. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You sure, it's SpyDoctor, not Spyware Doctor?
The first one is rogue program, the latter is legit one.

What does blue screen say?
Can you boot to Safe Mode?

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I thought I had repied to this but do not see it. Hope this is not a duplicate email. I can do nothing re the blue screen. When I start the PC, the blue screen comes on and that is that. From there no amount of keying or CAD affects it. Anything I can do from my laptop to affect it or is that wishful thinking :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you have Windows CD?

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I have numerous CD discs for XP one of course is the installation disc. And now after sitting overnight, the desktop PC will boot to the desktop but no icons will appear. Does that change you idea/suggestions?

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Here is a list of the discs I have: Should have providrd in other email.

XP Pro Installation
Drivers and Utilities - Dell Demension and XPS Resource Disc
" " Dell Resource CD
Disc for Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software

Hope this helps.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
would you believe I booted to desktoop and jst let PC stand. Then suddenly heard the logon music. Another lull for some time, then suddenly and very slowly the icons have all appeared. Am afraid to do much of anything for fear I will mess things up - will wait to see if you might answer tonight otherwise will try to run my antivirus scan to see what it might discover.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
can now see by the icon that the program I installed on the desktop is Spyware Doctor not Spy doctor as you suggested so guess I am safe there?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Spyware Doctor is OK, not that I'm a big fan of it.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
My PC got so bad it would not work at all. Did not seem to have crashed, just gave up working. So bit the dust and called in my tech. He cleaned it up for me, suggested I ditch some programs (Bit Defender being one of them), replace some programs and so am off and running. He also cleaned out my startup file. So am in high spirits again:)

Do thank you for all your help and support. Really did appreciate it. All I have to do now is get my passord changed here to a much much shorter one and I and my PC will be ready for Christmas :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news then...
Merry Christmas :)