Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does anyone understand clonezilla

• Please log in to reply

el_jack

el_jack

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have windows7 on a 250gb sata hd. I installed a larger sata hard drive and I want to clone the 250gb hd onto the new hd. There isn't enough instruction on this for me. The New Drive is internal. I don't have a external drive that can hold all the data on the 250gb hd.

what is the best route for me to go to get the result I am after.
please include step by step instructions.

All comments are welcomed

Thanks

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi welcome to Geeks To Go :)

Your best bet would be to download EASEAUS Partition manager it is free for the "home user" and it should have no problem doing what you are trying to do...

Click on the link in my signature and it will bring you to the main page where you can download the program.

Then install it and go to work... just copy your current HDD to the new one. it should work well for you. Don't format over your old drive until all of your work is complete.

Once you have completed the "copy" then try a boot test from your "new" drive to make sure it worked and all your data is there...

If you have any questions while you are using the product then stop and write me back... It is pretty self explanatory, but I will be able to go step by step if necessary...

Good luck hope this helps...

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
The software EASEAUS Partition won't work I have bad sector. in my computer event viewer reads "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block" I don't know how to get around this to use EP software.

Any suggestions on how to work around this?

Thanks

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
download Paragon Partition Manager, it has extensive tools. You can repair, recover lost files and in advance you can optimize your existing drive and migrate to a new hdd

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
We'll I used the easeus partition manager and also tried paragon partition manager. I copyed everything in c but it is not recognized as a system disk on the new drive. it won't boot.

Can someone give me any suggestion on how to make it a system disk that runs windows 7

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi El_Jack

Ok when you are in Easeus P M

click on the drive that you want to be able to boot...

Then click Partitions > Advanced> Set as active

This should set the drive as the active boot drive because it has been a while since I have used the program I can't remember exactly if it gives you the option to set the drive as a logical disk or a primary disk... But that shouldn't matter because the "active" setting should take care of it...
I only have partial use of the program because I'm using it in a virtual setting and it can't see my physical HDD setup only what I told it to see when I set it up originally.

Good luck let me know how this works...

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
will it make my other hd inactive? I ask because if it should not work I won't be able to boot my original hd.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
el_jack

I'm working up a set instructions please bear with me

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Ok Sorry it has been a busy night...

Each HDD is allowed to have 1 active partition...

By setting your new HDD to active it will allow it to be bootable... Also if you have your old HDD hooked up to it would be possible to boot in to it. You would just have to adjust the boot order...

I would set your new drive as active... then reboot.

When you are given the option by your computer to enter setup, or enter the one time boot menu, (as the computer is booting up) I would enter the boot menu... usually F11 or F12 but it could be different on your computer I'm not sure how yours is set up.

Then select your new HDD to boot from. If Windows boots up, and all of your information is there then I would say you have performed all the functions
properly...

I like to perform one more check to make sure everything is booting properly. Once I have verified that my new HDD is booting. Then I remove the old HDD and boot up once more to make sure I'm definitely booting from the new drive... When everything is as you like it then I would format over the old drive...

Hope this helps, Good luck

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It still will not boot. I copied the c partition to the new hard drive and set it active and it won't boot was I suppose to copy the source disk instead of the partition?

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I copied the disk and followed the instruction. It works just fine.

Thanks alot :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Congratulations I'm glad this worked out for you... Thanks for being patient. Things get crazy at times... :)

Good luck and come back if you need help again. :)

We are always looking to help others. :)