Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NOT DETECTING SAMSUNG SN-324S SLIM CDRW/DVD ROM.

• Please log in to reply

ezeegoing

ezeegoing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 with a Samsung SN-324S Slim CDRW/DVD ROM.

The Laptop is not recognizing the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive. It shows up in Device Manager as “this device is working properly”. It also appears in BIOS. I have gone onto the Dell website and ATTEMPTED to install the most up-to-date driver it offers (R109456-release date 11/8/2005), but I notice that in Device Manager, it does not seem to list this newly installed driver. Instead, it only lists the one obtained through Microsoft as the publisher, dated 7/1/2001, driver version: 5.1.2535.0.

The CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive seems to want to function. When I insert a cd/dvd into the drive it spins and does something and the LED on the drive flashes as well. When I startup the computer with a Windows XP installation disk in the drive it spins trying to recognize it but then boots normally into Windows.

When I put a music CD in, it spins and the LED light flashes, but it will not play. After attempting to open, it just stops. When I open Windows Media Player and attempt to play the music CD that is inside the drive, I get a dialog box saying: “Please insert a disk into drive D”.

When I go to MyComputer and try to open the CDRW drive, it does not read the drive. Nothing appears to be in the drive even though it contains either a music CD or the Windows XP install CD.

Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

Hanspuppa

Hanspuppa

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

ezeegoing wrote: When I go to MyComputer and try to open the CDRW drive, it does not read the drive. Nothing appears to be in the drive even though it contains either a music CD or the Windows XP install CD.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hello ezeegoing, It appears the lazor in the drive may have failed.

If this happens, the drive will appear to work normally, but will just not read or write.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Hanspuppa, 20 December 2009 - 04:19 PM.