Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot problem with 3 long beeps

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
I am trying to boot an older PC running XP and when I power it up, I immediately get 3 long beeps and then the cd drive powers up. I don't get the post beep, video or even keyboard power. I have tested the PS and it shows well within range. I have made an xp msdos boot disk and it doesn't work at all. I put in my xp cd and it spins but doesn't work either...Where should I go next for testing? Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello geno368...

Have you tried a different keyboard? Usually, 3 long beeps indicate a problem with the keyboard or keyboard controller.

wannabe1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check keyboard connection as this is what 3 long beeps usually is pointing toward.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Thanks for the replies. Here is what I have: It is a custom build by a local company and is about 3 y/o. I updated the ram to 1GB last year. It is a P4 processor on an Intel MB. It is an 80gb sata drive and it has an Allied 300w ps that I tested with a meter and is well within range on the 5 & 12v. It has a 128mb GeForce video card.
These are the steps I have made: Removed the ps2 K/Board and replaced with a USB. Re-seated the memory as well as the video card. Unhooked both the floppy and cd drives.
As soon as I power up the pc, the fans come on and I get 3 long beeps immediately...then nothing...the monitor power button just blinks like there is no signal. If I boot with the XP disk, it does spin up, but nothing elso happens. I looked closely at the MB and see no expanded capacitors and all connections seem good. I don't know the bios type since I get no video.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility
Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions