Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Sharp Zaurus ZR-5800 with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hello.

I have the Sharp Zaurus ZR-5800 PDA. I have 2 questions:

1) I have the Sharp Zaurus software on floppy disks, but my current computer doesn't have a floppy drive. Does anyone know where I can download the Zaurus sofware for free and will it work on Windows 7?

2) I also have the IR adapter for wireless communication with my PC. My current PC only has USB connections. I'd like to know what kind of adapter I need in order to use the IR device with a USB port on my computer and will I need a driver for it?

Thanks for any help.

Dominick J. Fontana

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) This PDA dates from 1996. The software is therefore very unlikely to work under Windows 7.

2) The concept of Infrared is such that it's wireless. It was effectively the fore-runner of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and very few modern day PCs and laptops use it any more as it's discontinued in favour of Bluetooth and friends. It is not meant to be used with a USB port.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, 5K.

Yes, I know it's old, but when I decided to put it back into service again, I did some research and there's a whole culture of people still using it, together with tons of free software apps that are still made for it, and most of them run under Windows 7. I was looking for the software that allows you to transfer all your files from the Zaurus to the PC and vice versa. This way, I can set up all my contacts, etc. on the PC and transfer them to the Zaurus. This is how I iused it in the past.

It's an old unit, but it's still good. It has a big backlit screen, a very nice QWERTY keyboard, plus a touch screen with a stylus. It has 2 GB and takes PC cards, which I have a bunch of. It stores thousands of contacts, appointments, and To Do lists. You can compose documents and Excel spreadsheets, and it has a sketchpad where you can write with the stylus, you can fax and get your email, plus much more.

Anyway, I don't know if you know for certain there is no software or if you're just assuming there is none because it's an older unit.

As far as the InfraRed unit goes, I have the one that I bought from Sharp with a serial port adapter. I know there are serial port to USB adapters, but wanted to know if anyone had direct experience with using it and could verify if it definitely worked or not. The Zaurus unit itself has an IR transmitter built in and I can use it to print on my HP laser printer, which has an IR port on the front.

Anyway, if I'm not able to connect with the PC anymore, I'll just enter all the info into the Zaurus right from the unit. I'm just hoping that someone with a Zaurus sees this and can tell me for sure if the software and IR adapter will work on my Windows 7 computer.

Thanks.

myomy

myomy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Dom-

I have a serial port to USB adapter, and it does work on both XP & Vista PC's. I did have to call the manufacturer and get a current download to update the drivers to make it work.

I have been using the ZR-5800 for about 10 years, and still do not know of a better unit. If only it had more memory. I also wish I could find a replacement stylus and a power cord. If I had the electronic specifications, I believe I could get a power cord from a local electronics shop.

You mentioned, “. . . there's a whole culture of people still using it, together with tons of free software apps that are still made for it, and most of them run under Windows 7.” I hope you found a great website/discussion board, because I would love to know about it, as well as the software apps. Also, could you tell me exactly how you use the built-in IR transmitter to print. (I have an HP 6310 All-in-One inkjet printer.)

You mentioned you had a bunch of PC cards. Could you please elaborate on that. Do you have any RAM cards?

How do you get your email on the ZR-5800?

Did you ever find out if the software and IR adapter will work on Windows 7 computers? I have both a Vista & an XP computer. I also have a copy of Windows 7, but I have yet to open the package.

Hopefully, we can help each other.

Thanks,
Lois in Houston

Edited by myomy, 14 January 2010 - 05:37 AM.

chazzmatic

chazzmatic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, I am also a loyal Zaurus fan. I own the ZR-5000 & have been using it for years. Very similar to the 5800 sans the backlight is the only difference. I still prefer using it as opposed to my fancy cell phone. Still very useful. Does anyone know where I could download or obtain an app called Z-finance? It is a finance software app for Zaurus ZR-5000 & up. Also any forums I could join? Thanks.

chazzmatic

chazzmatic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dom, a compamy called Rupp technologies has software called "rupplynx" that works flawlessly with win 7, xp, vista. Make sure to get version 6.1, you can obtain this from www.mobilemania.com. Hope that helps, as by now you probably have already found something that works. Also, do you know where i can get app software for the zaurus? Need Z-finance in particular. Thanks.

Zaurus_User

Zaurus_User

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just found this forum and this post. I've used the Sharp handheld units (both Zaurus and Wizard models) for over 10 years also. Unfortunately, Rupp has disappeared from the internet and their contact tel. numbers are either disconnected or belong to others (as of now, Nov. 2010). I do have a copy of the RuppLynx software and some of the other Sharp software for the Zaurus and Wizard, including Z-Finance. Would be glad to help other Zaurus users keep our devices in use. Let me know how i can help. Thanks.

LBOCEAN

LBOCEAN

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have mine beside me as well... Glad to see some users surfacing out there. I'm a long time fan of the Zaurus. Had the best OS hands down. Palm could'nt even touch it with a stick.

My history includes several softwares, bags, sleeves, P/S's, Various Accessories, and the unusual Zaurus server software that allows 10+ users to login remotely and up/download & share files using one of the built software features.

Anyone remember the magazines they had for the Zaurus. Have some of those too. Anyone remember Dan... (his last name will come to me) who used to write about the Zaurus in one of the early tech magazines... We'll back then, I wanted to provide to a small group I was part of, screen snapshots of various outlines I had created (love that app, wish I had it for Windows), so Dan got me a copy of this japaneese software, that required to be ran on a macintosh, along with a serial cable, I was able to draw snapshots out, then xver them over to my pc and include them in my docs.

Those were the days. I have'nt used mine in some time, but pull it out occasionally, fire it up and tap away. I think though, I'm going to get back into using it again because it was sooooo helpful to me.

BTW, I'm a DOS'r, and have computers since the 80's. Including a few that have floppy drives. So once a regather all my stuff, I can zip up a copy of the software and email it over.

DanH

Oldy but a goody

Oldy but a goody

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I have a Zaurus 5800. Been sitting in the cupboard for years battery leaked and corroded the terminals, Was working fine, be good for parts. Happy to give it away to some one for free just pay for the postage. Im from Australia.

Cheers

borny

borny

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
Also a Zaurus user since 1996/97. Just got on internet looking for a replacement. Actually I love 5800 and still use it everyday. I'm just afraid it will wear out someday and I'll be stuck. I have used Rupplynx s/w for years to backup to Windows, most recently XP. My desltop is XP and my laptop W7 so I haven't found backup for W7. Also, I have had no luck contacting Rupp s/w in the last couple of years. Any suggestions I would appreciate.
Borny

Advertisements

anasazi4st

anasazi4st

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Borny:

Well, I can tell you...Rupp is pretty much dead and gone. They were based in Scottsdale, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix...I've been to their old address, and no sign of them. In 1997 I bought my ZR-5800 from their retail store, also in Scottsdale...it was quite a fascinating place! Of course, it too is long gone, since 2000 or so I think.

Chazzmatic suggested www.mobilemania.com. I bought a copy of Z-Email from them a few years ago...by connecting a standard phone line to a PC Card modem you can send and receive email with Z-Email.

I've been successful in syncing Rupplynx (which I also purchased from mobilemania) with my PC and Windows XP...not sure about Windows 7. I'd like to be able to sync with my Mac, as I use those almost exclusively now. I realize I'd have to use OS9 or Classic...that's fine, I have a few Macs, both older and newer.

Does anybody have any information on what's required for the Mac-to-Zaurus sync?

If I can answer any questions with what knowledge I have, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

--Forrest

xtoothdr

xtoothdr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Dito what you said about Rupp and Mobilemania--and Sharp is unconcerned...
The units are not compatable with W7--but XP works fine.
I have transfer cables for PC or Mac--but no extras
I am looking for a way to transfer 'documents' in my zr 5800 or zr 3500x or my PC backup to my Verizon Droid phone. 'Contacts' and 'Addresses' work fine.
Am also looking to buy 1 or 2 working ZR5800's.

xtoothdr

xtoothdr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the latest version SW --supports XP but not W7.
I am badly in need of a backup ZR 5800 unit if you have an extra...

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 May 2011 - 01:15 PM.
Removed email

xtoothdr

xtoothdr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If you have a zr-5800 for sale??????

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 May 2011 - 01:15 PM.
Removed email

formerRTC

formerRTC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Worked with Rupp Technologies in Arizona. Company was purchased by owners of Pygmy Computer System (Miami Fl)and ultimately what was left of Rupp moved to Miami. Retail operations closed but prior posts suggesting you go to www.mobilemania.com are right. All of the old Rupp stock - RuppLynx, Z-Finance, Z-Games etc.... all ended up there. Both Rupp and Pygmy were hurt by their close tie-in to Sharp - when HP came in the scene, and Sharp didn't have competitive product it was essentially deathknell for their business.

Anyway for anyone in search of Zaurus software - mobilemania is the place to check. Disclaimer - not sre how much of a presence remains on mobilemania site (aka Pygmy) - but if no luck there the owner of Pygmy went on to establish Isota, LLC. Good luck......