Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow - 100% CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry about HDTune. This was corrected and now it's on my list.

Please repeat watching "processes" in action, this time using Process Explorer. Expand the processes tree ro maximium (click all "+" signs), watch and report heavy users. Process Explorer will give us a finer resolution.

Do you have a firewall installed and running? Do you have any remote connection program?

From what I see up to this point I can't be sure what is going on but I repeat my observation that your computer is definitely not as it should be. Please report HDTune and Process Explorer result. If by then I cannnot pinpoint the problem then I think we must make sure that your computer is malware free. That will be done in the malware forum of G2G.

Advertisements

skgruz

skgruz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I watched Process Explorer:
System Idle Process still running between 50 and 80 %
services.exe from microsoft Corp runs between 10 and 20 %
ifrmewrk.exe from intel corporation runs about 0 to 9%
ZCfgSvc.exe from Intel corp about every 30 seconds shows up and runs at about 8% for 5 seconds then goes away

HDTune results:
transfer rate
min - 7.7MB/sec
max - 33.6MB/sec
avg - 26.6MB/sec
Access Time 16.6 ms
Burst Rate 30.7 MB/sec

I am using Windows Firewall
Also I don't belive i have a remote connection program

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The results of HDTune show very low performance but this can be the result of the cpu doing other tasks, so here we have a circular argument that leads to nowhere.

Did your computer have SP-3 when you got it or did you install it as an update. If you did, is there any time relation between the installation of SP-3 and the slowdown? Is there a time relation between the slowdown and the installation/removal of ANY software or hardware?

Did you start a new topic in the malware forum, as suggested by Broni? If not, please do. At this time we have to make sure that there is no bug there chocking your system.

My gut feeling is that the slowdown is the result of a corrupt file, the result of unsuccessful installation or removal of a program/update. My first suspect would be Intel wireless. Try to uninstall it and see if there is any improvement.

skgruz

skgruz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I just got the laptop a few weeks ago. It did not have SP3 I installed it as an update. It was one of the first things i did was run windows update and it installed it.

I am working on adding the findings of the programs to the topic i created.

First off what is Intel wireless, do i need the program. And if i do uninstall it do i need to reinstall the program. Everytime i move the cursor over the icon it says"Windows is currently managing the wireless device"

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I have seen this before on XP machines running Adaware. After uninstalling the program the system idle goes back down to a very small %. My Mother-in-law had this issue until I got rid of Adaware from her Dell pc.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Let's see what the malware people say.

Regarding Intel wireless:try to uninstall it and see if it makes any difference. Please read this page.

skgruz

skgruz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I posted in the Malware section on sunday 12/27 and i understand it can take up to 3 days for a reply.
Should i wait for the findings to remove the Intel or should i remove it now.

I also read the other article in Tech Support Guy Forums and i still have a few questions?
Once i delete it do i need to reinstall it or can i let windows manage my wireless connection.?

If i do need to reinstall it due to it containing the drivers how do i know which one to install?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would uninstall the Intel program and see what happens. If you get any problem with drivers you can download them from here.

skgruz

skgruz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have uninstalled the Intel Program and now i am trying to get the wireless driver reinstalled.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please see how your computer run before reinstalling the driver. We want to see if the removal made any difference.

Advertisements

skgruz

skgruz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It was still running slow.
Should i reinstall the Intel or is there another way to get Wireless enabled back on the PC?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can reinstall the program. Any progress in the malware forum?

skgruz

skgruz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
When i reinstall the Intel should i just install the driver or the full program.

I am running through some troubleshooting now.

I will let you know of the results

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just the driver. Windows will control the device after the driver is installed.

skgruz

skgruz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Once again i do appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

I have been advised that my ststem is clean of all threats
I have also reinstalled just the intel driver.

My computer is still running slow. Do you have anymore ideas of what could be causing it to run so slow?