Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

esata no recognize :(

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
i just got a fantom megadisk 1tb external esata/usb hard drive. the thing works great through usb, but the esata doesnt work at all. the only esata port i have is on the front of my nzxt tempest case. it doesnt detect it at all, and i already checked that the front panel is plugged into the mobo, which it is, and the other usb ports on the front work as well.
what can i do to get my vista 64 bit to recognize the drive through esata? btw, i have looked all over and have not found anything really helpful,as changing it to aspi or w/e just bsods the thing, and the specific drivers are not on my gigabyte ep35-ds3L mobo disk
thanks
tuna

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is that front port an actual eSATA port? or is it a regular SATA port that's just connected in to a sata connector on the MOBO? (similar to how front panel USB ports connect). a regular SATA port looks sort of like an L with a little dip on one end...an eSATA port is just straight (roughly) and doesn't have the L

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
AHCI will be needed if you want to allow for eSATA hotplug connectivity, otherwise you'll need to have the drive connected and powered on before you turn the computer on, and then shut down before you disconnect it - essentially like an internal drive. If you are looking for specific motherboard drivers you'll find them on the Gigabyte website.

AHCI drivers is good fun. :)

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
well i have confirmed that the front panel esata is in fact esata and not a regular sata port. i looked inside my pc real quick to make sure that the front panel esata was connected securely to a sata spot on the mobo, and it was. as for the AHCI drivers, there are none on the gigabyte site, and i know in order for AHCI to work you have to have the drivers installed before you enable it in the BIOS.
where can i find the proper AHCI drivers??????

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what's the model of your motherboard ep35-ds3L doesn't show up on the gigabyte website

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
the model is GA-EP35-DS3L

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Is yours revision 1.0 or 2.0? It will be printed on the motherboard itself. Both are listed on the website.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
well im not sure what your talking about, because under ga-ep35-ds3l, there is only one mobo, and no revisions or anything. but under ga-ep35-ds3 and [bleep] there are revisions. so that stuff doesnt apply to my mobo. i couldnt find any thing to do with revisions anyway. i still dont know how to get my esata to work tho.....................

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes you are right, no revisions for that particular model - I must have accidentally looked up something else. Definitely download the latest chipset drivers from here:
http://www.gigabyte....?ProductID=2778

Have you tried connecting just normal SATA cable as hot-swap when the system is running? Perhaps the eSATA port is faulty?

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
i think it may be faulty, but im not sure. it didnt detect the drive at all, so i dunno. i might need to use my multimeter or something. i atleast have usb for now. i havent tried connecting a sata cord to it. i hope i get this figured out soon.........

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Not sure if you have one, but I have a cord that connects from eSATA straight to the SATA connection on the motherboard, that's what I was thinking if you are able to test it. Not sure where I got it from, perhaps it came with an eSATA backup drive or something.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
i dont have a cable like that but i can order one. i think they are pretty cheap.