Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

onboard/external video card compatibility problems

• Please log in to reply

dailyconfused

dailyconfused

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey, so I recently bought a new motherboard(dont remember the kind off the top of my head but I can dig out the box if it's needed) and a graphics card(GeForce 8400GS). After I installed all the drivers for the motherboard I installed the video card. It works fine for the most part except that in games its really laggy even on the lowest settings. My friend helped me diagnose this problem and we found out that the onboard video card(ATI Radeon HD 3300) doesnt like another graphics card in my computer.

To fix it I just took out the GeForce card and the game runs great. Plus theres no yellow !(that yellow triangle error thing) in device manager anymore. Is there a way I can get around this problem? Like disable the onboard card?

Oh yeah, I updated all the drivers too if that matters.

Edited by dailyconfused, 21 December 2009 - 04:31 AM.

Advertisements

dailyconfused

dailyconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
well...I think i figured out what i need to do. I just can't find it. I need to disable the on board graphics card. I've looked through the BIOS for the option to do that and I can't find it. The motherboard I have is a TA790GXE. I also need to set the GeForce as the primary graphics adapter but I can't find that option either. I've looked online and people say that its just a variation of those but none of the options have similar wording. Any help would be appreciated.