Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen Blinking Cursor Windows XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RMatarazzo

RMatarazzo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a deskp top and I was on my computer yesterday it was working totally fine. this morning I started my computer and all that comes up in a black screen with a blinking cursor. I tried control alt delete, nothing. my kepboard is on but nothing works to get past this black screen. I checked other suggestions and noticed other people had options of f12 or f8 or starting in safe mode. I didnt have any options. any suggestions? ALL of my pictures and customers work is stored on this computer.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi RMatarazzo ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
can you get into safe mode...
when you can't even boot into safe mode you will have to repair xp...lowdown is here

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Is the blinking an "|" shape or a "_" shape?

RMatarazzo

RMatarazzo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Its working now. Thanks HappyRock! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help and this site. Happy Holidays!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

aglanier

aglanier

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have similar problem on a dell xps with xp home. It boots to to a flashing cursor.
I found if I wait 10 to 20 mins, it comes up fine and operates with no problems.
Ive run chkdsk and McAfee virus scan and found no issues.

Happy but Curious
Any Ideas!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi aglanier...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
first...you need to start your own thread in the future...even though your problems sound similar your solutions can be quite different...in your case your hard drive has dropped to PIO mode instead of DMA mode...
if you start your own topic you can send me a PM with the link to it...I will will help you