Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Considering Buying vs Building

• Please log in to reply

hellodave123

hellodave123

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey there. My computer is quite out of date now and I need an upgrade. I want to play the newer games basically. Basically comparing purchasing new or just editing my own. Getting a new PC with decent spec, even just the tower seems to be like £400-£500 I think.

Here's what I have (as far as i know):

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz. I think it's a really early crappy duel core

2.00 GB RAM

Nvidia 9600GT video card

Using Xp media edition, no CD though just recovery one.

I can get windows 7 for £30, home or pro edition using my student e-mail. So I can get a new OS for cheaper than usual. My graphics card isn't incredible, but will do. I'll get a new, unscratched tower too, which are cheap.

So my thinking, all I need to buy is a much better processor/motherboard combo, one that can fit more memory in like 4gb, combine this with windows 7, and I have my brand new PC for a bit cheaper.

Is that a better way, or would you buy new? I'm a noob so I've missed important things I expect. Thanks if you reply.

Edited by hellodave123, 21 December 2009 - 11:05 AM.

Advertisements

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Building a system can actually be more expensive than buying a pre-built. Building is good because you can get exactly what you want and you also learn a lot. Building is more fun :).

You also have to remember that building takes much more time as you have to research components and then assemble them. And (god forbid) there be an issue you need to spend time trouble shooting and even replacing parts. If you have time and want a fun experience go for the build. If you want a PC and you want it quick and cheep just order it pre built.