Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0x82966798, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

• Please log in to reply

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
XP Home machine gets...

STOP 0x000000ED, 0x82966798, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

is the exact error.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Cannot get into Safe Mode. Get blue screen of death instead. Tried Last Known Good Config many times to no avail.

Ran Avira Rescue CD and it scanned successfully but found no issues. And therefore, still can't get into Windows.

Did not install any new software/hardware prior to this error.

From doing some googling, it doesn't seem like hard-drive failure. A Microsoft article I found suggests I go into the BIOS to change settings, but when I get inside BIOS, the option Microsoft says to choose is not listed.

Any suggestions on how to fix would be most appreciated.

Doing this for a friend.

Thanks much!

Jeff

Edited by JeffM, 21 December 2009 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thanks for your fast reply. How can I tell what brand the hard drive is - by going into the BIOS? I unfortunately don't have the PC in my possession right now. Any guesses on what the default Dell PC from 2006 would have in it? :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No idea. Since the computer is not bootable, you'll have to open the case and take a look.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
OK, thanks, I'll keep you posted. May just recommend the person take it to the Geek Squad or a local PC store. Reason being is that when I help people out with their computers for free, I try to limit my time to an hour or two per PC. This sounds like it's more complicated than that, and that new hardware may need to be purchased/installed. Will be back in touch with an update soon.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

May just recommend the person take it to the Geek Squad or a local PC store

Avoid Geek Squad like a disease :)