Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External sound card via firewire.

• Please log in to reply

numerot

numerot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to use an audio interface with my firewire port for recording/listening to music, but after I turn on the unit, connect it to my computer, and change the audio properties to run through the unit itself as an external sound card instead of my internal Realtek one, this is where I run into problems. The sound will initially be ok just playing back mp3s through Winamp--but once I do absolutely anything, minimize any window, open up a new one, anything, all sounds on my computer distort horribly and play back at half speed. There is no problem with the interface itself, and I've installed all the current and correct drivers that came with it, uninstalled, reinstalled the most current from the company's site and they are all recognized no problems--so I am thinking this is some kind of firewire problem but am inexperienced in the area and could not find any online solutions to this.

Advertisements

Fllash

Fllash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
It certainly sounds like a driver issue, however you updated them. Hmm.
A couple of questions:
- If you have multiple firewire ports, have you tried them all?
- If you are able, have you tried using another computer to test the functionality of the device?
- Have you tried using different applications to play music?
(and finally)
- Have you tried playing different file formats and are able to confirm that the same problem occurs?

Thanks,
Josh.