Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro/SP3 won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Pete W

Pete W

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My box is a Gateway GT 5644E running Windows XP Pro/SP3 with an AMD Athlon 64X2. My computer knowlege level is advanced novice.

Upon restart following a normal shutdown several weeks ago I got the BSOD with Error message STOP: 0x00000024. I was able to recover by running dskchk / r from the PE Builder Boot Disk I'd installed earlier. Everything ran normally until yesterday morning.

Yesterday morning my wife turned the machine on and walked away. A minute or so later I looked at the screen and it was running an unknown program ( I think in DOS - blue screen) that was scrollong thru files. I immediatly shut the box down and tried to reboot. Once again I got the BSOD with Error message STOP: 0x00000024.

I ran dskchk / r using the PE Builder Boot Disk but was not successful in getting the system to boot. After attempting to check the directory where Windows is stored, dskchk reported an abort due to insufficient memory to map the drive???? I've tried all the simple stuff suggested in other postings, like Safe Mode, etc to no avail.

How can I get this machine to boot?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The hard drive may be failing and/or the installed ram.

Test the drive with the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic program which doesn't require Windows to be working since you boot the PC from a floppy or CD which loads it's own version of DOS in memory.
Most drive manufacturers have a diagnostic tool on their website.

You can test the ram with memtest if the drive passes the diagnostic tests:
http://www.memtest.org/

On that page click on Download (Pre-built & ISOs) and choose whether you want the bootable floppy version or bootable CD version.

If both the drive and ram check out okay, may be your Windows installation is corrupt beyond repair and needs re-installing from scratch using the Windows CD or the PC maker's recovery discs.

Hope you make some progress.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 21 December 2009 - 02:54 PM.