Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open help files in Vista 64bit

• Please log in to reply

vsalzman

vsalzman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi. I have an end user who cannot open help files from any programs on her Vista 64bit machine. She receives the following error:

Bad Image:
C:\windows\system32\itss.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program againusing the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor support.

She clicks OK and another message comes up:
Cannot open the file mk:@MSITStore:C:\program files (x86)\*program name*\help\*helpfilename*\.chm

This is a new Dell Precision T5400. It was ordered with WinXP 64bit by mistake, so we upgraded it to Vista 64bit. This error happens with help files from any program, including Microsoft Office products. Here is what I have tried so far with no luck:

Replaced the itss.dll and hhctrl.ocx files from another Vista 64bit machine that does work.

Unregistered and re-registered the following:
regsvr32 itss.dll
regsvr32 itircl.dll
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

Have reinstalled all programs as well as ran repair on them.

I have attempted to install the fix from Microsoft, KB917607-x64. This file will not install as the Windows update tells me it does not apply to the system.

The machine is running SP2 for Vista. We are now to a critical time where the user needs to access the help files. Any suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Advertisements