Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too soon for 64bit

• Please log in to reply

emmjay

emmjay

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, I am looking for some good reasons to go 64bit.

I will be purchasing a new laptop (2.5GHz, 4GB RAM which can go to 8GB) this week.
I have had an XP/PRO system for 10 years and a Vista 32 for 2 years. The option on the new laptop is Windows 7, either 32 or 64 (preloaded).

I read through a lot of posts here and in other forums that are making me reconsider not going 64, though I am aware of the 3GB RAM limitation with 32bit MS/OS systems. I am concerned about device drivers, apps and utilities not working properly because they were designed to work on 32bit technology.

I will be upgrading the Vista 32 system to W7, 32 (it can not go above 4GB memory and has a built-in optical drive that will not supported under W7, 64 by the vendor.

I know I could start with W7, 32 and at a later date clean install a 64bit OS. If however you could steer me toward 64bit now, I am all ears. :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Better performance (ie faster processing) is the main reason Windows user's decide to go with 64-bit, but you are wise to be aware the driver issue. With 64-bit Windows all your device drivers must be 64-bit, so you not only have to consider the devices you have now, but also any new devices you may want to buy (eg printer/scanner) in the near future.

Windows 7 is only months old and it will take some time for the device manufacturer's to catch up with 64-bit drivers for it. Many discontinued devices will never get 64-bit drivers. I'm hoping to replace my desktop pc in may with a shiny new one, but I'll be getting 32-bit Windows 7. I have an expensive printer and scanner, neither of which have 64-bit drivers available, and I don't want to risk waiting for 64-bit drivers that may never materialise, leaving me with two expensive door-stops.

It depends on what equipment you have now and what you intend to buy in future. The decision is all about drivers and whether you can be confident of getting all the 64-bit drivers you need or are likely to need in the future. I'm not prepared to to take that risk. It's 32-bit for me. Being able to use all my PC equipment is too important to do otherwise.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 21 December 2009 - 03:50 PM.

emmjay

emmjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you Phillip for your response, I really appreciate it.

I was also concerned about security software. The worst case would be an AV or FW failure followed by recovery issues. Downgrading to 32bit after a catastrophic failure would probably be impossible. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to take on so much risk with a new system.

I have decided to go W7,32bit.