Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

HarleyRG

HarleyRG

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Good evening,

My USB ports stopped working. I have tried RegCure, didn't work. I also downloaded CCleaner, didn't work. I tried to download GlaryUtilities but it wouldn't run.

I printed out from this forum (2/16/09 usb ports stopped working hp laptop) by "TechNerd" and was following the Vista directions to uninstall and reinstall the USB controllers through Device Manager. Do I delete all of them? (i.e., there are 7 or so such as Enhanced, Mass Storage, Root and Printing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Regcure doesn't fix anything that wasn't already broke and will make problems worse. Please keep away from it with a suitably large barge pole.

You can purge everything under the USB Controllers section. Be aware that if you have a USB mouse or keyboard and you delete the controllers the mouse and keyboard will stop working.

HarleyRG

HarleyRG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
But when I turn the computer back on, Windows will automatically reinstall?

HarleyRG

HarleyRG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you so much for your help.
It worked and my USBs are back to working.

Thanks to you Neil and to TechNerd, the directions worked perfectly.