Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get to XP login window but then login fails

• Please log in to reply

geric16

geric16

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I have a dell latitude d510 laptop. I had ran a Eset online scan and it removed 4 threats saying could not remove-deleted. I rebooted and it boots up to the XP login. When I try to login in it starts and I see my background picture but then it says failed and takes me back to the original login screen again. Tried to boot under safe mode but it gives me the blue screen and it did this before I ran the Eset scan. I am currently running a diagnostics on it but need to get this figured out ASAP for I am have all of my work information on the laptop...Please help

Advertisements

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
What specific error message do you get? Write it out on paper if necessary.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

geric16

geric16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
It does not give me an error. The system will boot up and take me to the Windows XP Log in screen with username and password. I then try to login in and it starts to do so, says loading your personal settings and even shows my background picture but then quickly goes to logging off and takes me back to the original XP login screen. I cannot boot in safe mode, have tried and it takes me to a blue screen. I put in the XP repair disk and booted from that and ran chkdsk r and it said it fixed and error but upon reboot same problem is there. As for hit the F8 for the autorun I do not have that exact option, but the disable automatic restart on system failure is there. I have tried all safe modes as well as last known and debbuging.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

After the above is done then go on to the next step.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

geric16

geric16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
This will not wipe out my data on the computer correct. I looked around at some other posts in this forum and seen where people had the same logon problem and the file userinit.exe was deleted when removing a virus much like I was. I followed what they said and inserted my xp disk, booted from it, and then did the d: i386 expand userinit.exe c:\windows\system32 and it did ask me to overwrite file and I did. Rebooted but still the same problem. I will do what you suggest if I am sure that it will not wipe my hardrive. I cannot boot in safe mode and can not logon.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The first thing I suggest is backing up your data. You can do this by using a linux live cd like Puppy linux.

Get Puppy Linux Here...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

geric16

geric16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Ok...Backed up and then ran the repair like you instructed. I can now logon and even boot up in safe mode. But I am still having a problem. I tried to install Malwarebytes to run and it will go through the setup and ask to finish. Then when I click on the icon it would say can not find mbam.exe. When I go to explorer and look under program files\malwarebytes it is there. I noticed this on other stuff as well. If I try to launch McaFee it tries then stops. It will not let me run exe files. This computer was infected, it had advanced virus remover popups everywhere as well as other messages. I ran the eset online scanner for the computer would not execute and exe file like McAfee or install Malwarebytes. What is my next step, I do greatly appreciate the help so far. I can at least now log back in and use safe mode. The internet works both IE and Firefox.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now that you can log into windows I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

geric16

geric16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Thank you for your previous help. I went to the other forum you suggested and posted in there that I can not get Malwarebytes to install and run, keeps saying cant find mbam.exe after install. Tried renaming the setup file and so on and no luck. No one has responded to my post in that forum. Any other suggestions on what I can do? I know it is still infected bad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You posted 2 days ago. If you have not received a response by tomorrow morning then post in the Waiting Room and that will get you help then.
Post with a link to your original topic, a brief description and the date you originally posted. Be patient as that forum is extremely busy.