Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about power supply

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
This isn't technically a question about a self-built system. However, depending upon advice to my situation, I might take a pre-built system and swap out a better power supply. (Though money is definitely an issue in this instance, so I'd prefer to do that only if absolutely necessary.)

Anyway, I found what appears to be a really sweet system for a really good price on NewEgg ( http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883108234 ). The only issue I see with this system is that the power supply is only 280W.

My question is if the power supply is powerful enough for my intended use of the system. In addition to the components that come with the system, I'd permanently add the following:

*an additional SATA hard drive
*an additional DVD/CD-RW drive
*a (phone) modem through a PCI card
*a PS2 keyboard
*a USB connected mouse

And then I sporadically connect the following through USB (these devices would not be connected permanently, only when needed to access; and very likely no more than one at any one time):
*a portable hard drive
*a GPS device
*an MP3 player
*a digital camera

Any advice as to whether the power supply is enough?

Thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It may come as a surprise, but PSUs are grossly overestimated in computers. The PSU will do fine, but if you intend on doing any kind of hardware upgrades a new PSU will be a required upgrade as well. As far as USB goes, it draw VERY little power and some ports aren't even powered at all (though most on motherboards are), so I wouldn't worry about any power drawn from a USB device causing any kind of harm.
James

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thank you very much for your input, James, and for putting my fears to ease.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No problem, always happy to help :)
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts