Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox 3.5 Takes the Top Spot Worldwide

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://www.readwrite...t_worldwide.php

Firefox hit a new milestone today, as version 3.5 overtook Internet Explorer 7.0 with nearly 22% of the browser market, according to statistics from web analytics service StatCounter. This comes on the heels of statistics we saw earlier this month, which showed Firefox overtaking IE for overall usage in Germany.

Posted Image

While IE still dominates the browser market - with 55% of people using some version - all combined versions of Firefox occupy 32% and have been steadily gaining ground. Released at the end of June, version 3.5 of Firefox has quickly climbed the charts. IE 8, on the other hand - which was first released in beta more than a year earlier, with a full release in March 2009 - now holds a similar 20% of the market to that of Firefox 3.5's 22%.

It would seem that a majority of Firefox 3.5 users were already using 3.0 and upgraded, as the 20% drop in 3.0 use almost directly correlates to the 22% increase in 3.5.

Advertisements

Doom

Doom

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
prefer opera myself
firefox lacks tons of futures opera provides

Down With Malware!

Down With Malware!

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I am glad Firefox is taking over, I hate IE..it has so many security holes in it (from what I read anyways)I just hope Microsoft makes it the default internet browser.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I am glad Firefox is taking over, I hate IE..it has so many security holes in it (from what I read anyways)I just hope Microsoft makes it the default internet browser.

It was worse in the older versions than it is now. IE6 was a veritable malware magnet. IE7 was better, but still had holes. IE8 isn't all that bad. That being said, no browser is perfect.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
As far as security goes, it's not the browsers fault if you end up on a malicious website. :)

I'm not a fan of Firefox too much these days; I find that it's just as fast and usable as most other browsers. The only thing I keep it for is the variety of Extensions. They make my "job" much easier.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks Broni :)

Can you imagine the day... "IE is dead, Firefox now offered with Microsoft Windows 9". :)

...and then I woke up from that dream.