Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista SP2 Screwed up my Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Monty4317

Monty4317

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
So, I just updated my laptop to Windows Vista SP2 and clicked the reboot button.. and now it will not get past the "Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3...." part... it gets stuck on 0% completed and eventually says "Shutting Down" and repeats the process. This is on a Dell Inspiron E1505. I have tried booting into safe mode (same problem occurs), system restore, running the diagnostic tool, restoring from a backup (my computer claims I dont have one... yay), and I cant think of what else... so now I turn to you guys. What can I do to save my computer? or am I doomed to have to reformat? >.<

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

restoring from a backup (my computer claims I dont have one

Say again?

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

restoring from a backup (my computer claims I dont have one

Say again?

It is not letting me attempt to restore from a backup. I could try again though...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK. What kind of backup are we talking about here?

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

OK. What kind of backup are we talking about here?

A DVD backup. I thought the laptop had some sort of extra partition for a backup or something but I honestly don't know anything about that haha.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Are you talking about Recovery DVD, you made, or the one, it came with your computer?
Are you booting from that DVD?
Your Dell should also have recovery partition, which you can access by pressing CTRL+F11 key at Dell's logo. You should have two choices: destructive and non-destructive recovery. The latter should keep your data alive.

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Are you talking about Recovery DVD, you made, or the one, it came with your computer?
Are you booting from that DVD?
Your Dell should also have recovery partition, which you can access by pressing CTRL+F11 key at Dell's logo. You should have two choices: destructive and non-destructive recovery. The latter should keep your data alive.

a recovery DVD I made. Should I give this non-destructive recovery a go?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sure thing...