Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Old hard drive into new external drive

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hi everybody, I'm a little stuck here so I've got a question or two. I've got a WD 160GB hard drive and I'm trying to turn it into an external hard drive for storage. I took it out of a working older PC and I scrubbed it and now I need to know my next steps. Believe it or not I have done this before but for some reason I just can't remember what to do next. Go figure. Anyway, I have scrubbed all the old info and OS off and now it's ready for reformatting and whatever else it may need. Don't I have to find some drivers and/or software for it to work? I do have a casing for it, so when I connect it to my pc, will Windows detect it? Any help on the next set of steps would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Oh and how should the jumper be set? It will be an external unit that will be just for storage.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Buy hard drive USB enclosure (~$20). I don't believe, you have to set any jumpers in that case.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well, I put it in the enclosure and plugged it into my pc and formatted it. But now when I put anything on it for storage and try to go back to what I've stored it freezes up my whole pc and I have to turn off the external hard drive just to get everything unfroze again. Does anybody have any idea as to why it's freezing up and what I could do about it to make it work right?

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
OK, so this is going to drive me crazy. This external drive works just fine on my old HP machine but my newer other machine, it freezes up the system and won't work. Does anybody have any idea why it would work on one machine and not the other? I really would like this thing fixed so any help would be great. Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try different USB port?

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Yeah, I have it in an enclosure that connects with USB and I have it plugged in to one of the USB ports in the back of my tower.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Did you try different USB port?

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Yes, and the same thing happens every time.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?