Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

checking files for consitency message

• Please log in to reply

katejamesnlilo

katejamesnlilo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im sure this topic has been spoken of before, but my computer freezes too much for me to spend much time reading threads. About 2 months ago, my IE started freezing up when I was using the Internet. Task manager won't come up. I get a "Login attempt failed" message for that. But, I digress. My main problem is that I have to push the power button to get the screen to close. Then upon restarting, I get a message about starting in safe mode or continuing in Windows normally. No matter what I push, I then get a black screen that says something about running a scan on the c files, checking c files for consistency. It then proceeds to go though a list of files that takes forever and then freezes part of the way through and never finishes. If I hit a key to skip the scan, I can go to the logon screen, but after some time on the Internet, I get the frozen screens that I can't get out of even with task manager. Can anyone help? I'm not that smart about computers, but can folow instructions and do havE a basic knowledge of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah....I have Vista with service pack1, and my computer is less than 1 year old. It's an HP.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

katejamesnlilo

katejamesnlilo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help. My hard drive is made my Toshiba. After posting this thread, my computer noe won't even allow me login at all. I get to the login screen, it logs me in and then it display sht ewelcome screen with the windows swirling circle thing, but never logs me in. When I log in on safe mode, I get an error message saying that my Internet Explorer is corrupted. So my questions now is if I need to remove internet explorer and install Firefox or something else? If so, can I order Firefox software? I can't even get onto the Internet to download it onto my computer? Any help wpuld be appreciated.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are you saying, that you can boot all the way to Windows in Safe Mode, but when you try to use IE, it gives you error?
What's the exact error?
BTW, you can't remove IE. It's part of Windows.