Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP BSoD on Startup and BSoD on XP Install or Repair

• Please log in to reply

zhivago6

zhivago6

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I built my own computer 3 years ago and it has been fine ever since. Three days ago I came home from work to find the Blue Screen of Death. A reboot gets me another BSoD. Safe mode or Last good config BSoD on Startup. Put hard drive in another computer as slave and ran CHKDSK/F - no bad sectors or problems, but I still get BSoD. Tried removing RAM one stick at a time, no dice. Tried running HD as Master on another computer and I get the same BSoD, but as Slave I can access all my info. So I tried an XP repair/install. After it starts to load I get a BSoD. I tried a different (old crappy) hard drive in my computer and it loaded up to windows, but with lots of errors (wrong computer and all). So I tried an XP install over the new HD and I get a BSoD. I was hoping to just install a new HD and run my old one as Slave, but I can't format and install XP on the new HD cause I get BSoD when I try. Any suggestions? Maybe both the HD and some hardware both went bad at the same time?

Win XP
MB MSI 975X Motherboard
4 GB RAM
Redeon 1900XTX CrossFire Video Cards
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
IDE 270 GB HD

Edited by zhivago6, 22 December 2009 - 10:04 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Tried running HD as Master on another computer and I get the same BSoD, but as Slave I can access all my info.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.