Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noticing poor peformance after replacing my motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Shooter51

Shooter51

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP3. I just got and put in a new motherboard a few days ago. (Went from an ECS 945GCT-M to a GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P Rev1.6)

I'm noticing performance is significantly worse compared to before, the computer is still of course usable and I can still run all my PC games or applications from before the upgrade, it's just noticeably slower and the FPS on those games is lower as well.

I've been told that I might need to reinstall Windows XP as part of the process of upgrading a motherboard. Someone else told me that it might be because something along the lines of since the processor is rather old (Intel Pentium 4 64bit 3.20GHz) and the motherboard is a lot newer, maybe it doesn't recognize it and it's not sending enough power to it or something. I didn't really think that sounded possible/didn't make sense, but hey I'm only intermediate with computers and still kind of a noob so, what do I know.

Moving on, I have two problems with reinstalling Windows.

1. This computer was custom built as a gift a year or two back, it came with some documents and other things but I don't remember seeing a Windows XP disc in there. I plan on going back to find that box and anything else, but how would I reinstall Windows without a disc if I can't find it?

2. The reason I upgraded my motherboard in the first place was because I'm getting a Quad-Core processor soon, should I just wait until I have the new processor and see if performance is still bad then work from there, or would that have nothing to do with this?

I'd also like to add one thing, before I had a 64bit Windows/processor or however that works and everything was fine. Now, it seems to be running in 32bit mode as when I tried to download new drivers for my graphics card, I chose 64bit and it gave me an error saying that the system is not a 64bit one, I am little confused.

First post here, thanks!

Advertisements