Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First build, insanel fail alert.

• Please log in to reply

DarkRoxas13

DarkRoxas13

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Budget: 1000-1500 dollars.
Used for: Gaming (Modern warefare 2, not expecting maxed or anything), web browsing, the basic stuff

Like i said in my title, this is my first time, and i suspect that none of theese parts are going to be compatible. >_< Any help on telling how to tell if parts are compatible are welcome. And sorry for sending this long [bleep] message that you probably seen a thousand times, :)

Parts I'm going to get:
CASE: Appevia X-plorer Mid-Tower case

Power Supply: UThermaltake TR2 W0101 550-Watt Power Supply for ATX 12V 2.0

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - Hard drive - 750 GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 16 MB

Disk Drive Thingy:LG GH22LS50 Super Multi - Disk drive - DVD?RW (?R DL) / DVD-RAM - 22x/22x/12x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25" - black - LightScribe

Motherboard bundled with CPU (is that a good thing? xD) Asus M4N78 PRO w/ AA 64 X2 6000+

RAM sticks: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5C G

Video Card:SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100269VXLE Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Sound Card: DIAMOND XtremeSound XS51 5.1 Channels 16-bit 48KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Networking Card: NETGEAR GA311 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Gigabit Adapter with Jumbo Frame support 1 x RJ45

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Monitor: Hanns·G HH-221HPB Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(1000:1) (Built in Speakers, YES!)

Mouse and keyboard: i-rocks RF-6572-WH White USB 2.4GHz RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Combo

Questions:
Am i missing anything else important, like a video card or something?
Am I going to need another fan, or are ones included in the case fine.

Thanks, :)

Edited by DarkRoxas13, 23 December 2009 - 11:41 AM.

Advertisements

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
If your going to do any gaming your going to want to get a video card (9800GT should be fine, or you could go with the 9500GT.. just depends on what your going to be doing) and abandon the onboard graphics. Also with your budget you can afford to increase PSU and I would also sub the the cpu for an athlon II x4 620. make sure the CPU comes with a stock fan and make sure your case actually comes with fans, if not you'll have to buy them.

Why are you getting Windows 7 64 bit? You only have 2 memory slots.

Also why are you getting a networking card?

Anyway, you should be able to build all of this for less than $1000

Edited by Treize, 23 December 2009 - 07:02 PM.

DarkRoxas13

DarkRoxas13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So ill get This motherboard

And i found thiscpu (3.0 GHz, i think thats good). I checked and it says heatsink and fan included, so thats awesome.

This Video card...

And is this PSUgood?

Dump the networking card, also, and downgrade to windows 7 32 bit.

Is that right now?

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Your Motherboard and CPU are not compatible with each other. The mobo supports intel processors... you have a AMD processor selected. Decide what type of CPU you would like (AMD vs Intel), clock speed, number of cores etc. Then go from there

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
If it stands to any reference, I am currently having very good luck with this combination, which should be fairly comparable to what you have selected (but compatible :))

Motherboard

CPU

I am using virtually the same graphics card, the EVGA 9800gtx+, and I can't vouch for it anymore, I have RMA'd one, and am probably going to RMA another. For around the same money, you may want to think about something like a 250gtx from nvidia/evga.

The other kicker with the 9800gtx is it is HUGE, I would not recommend putting it in a mid tower case, I have had to remove drive cages just to funnel the cables around the card, but that is of course your prerogative :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Why not use Windows 7 64-bit? He would then be able to make use of all the RAM. :)

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
The only benefit I can say I have seen from downgrading to 7 x32 is the ability to use a program called RamDisk. This enables me to set up my extra, un-utilized RAM as a hard-disk, and set up a paging file that dumps to the hdd during shutdown. I would have to say I would I agree with Troy though, x64 has considerably more to offer with the extended memory address space :)

DarkRoxas13

DarkRoxas13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Video card
Case
Power supply
MotherBoard
CPU
Monitor
Keyboard and Mouse
Windows 7
RAM
Anti static wristband-Cause im noob, lol
Hard Drive
Optical Disk Drive
Fan
Red Cathodes :)
Card reader/writer

Oh, and my budget got bumped up to 1.3k thanks to Christmas (no im not spoiled, -.-).

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
His motherboard only has two RAM slots, what is the purpose of getting 64 bit and being limited to 4 GB?

Edited by Treize, 29 December 2009 - 10:22 AM.

DarkRoxas13

DarkRoxas13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

His motherboard only has to RAM slots, what is the purpose of getting 64 bit and being limited to 4 GB?

To? As in 2 i assume. Anyway, how can i tell how many ram slots my mobo has? and i dont think im limited to 4GB, am I? cant i replace the 2 gig sticks with 4 gig sticks?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
They are expensive, but yes you can. It would be better to grab a motherboard with 4 slots, though, if you can find one. You'll be able to tell by looking up the specifications of the motherboard on the manufacturer's website.

DarkRoxas13

DarkRoxas13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

They are expensive, but yes you can. It would be better to grab a motherboard with 4 slots, though, if you can find one. You'll be able to tell by looking up the specifications of the motherboard on the manufacturer's website.

I cant. :) Can you recommend one for me? I'm not good at this stuff, haha.

DarkRoxas13

DarkRoxas13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Also, i just noticed my mobo has on board graphics, which are probably horrible (their onboard, after all). is there anyway to disable it and use my chosen video card instead? Or should I choose another motherboard.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Don't worry, I just looked it up for you, the ASUS you have listed above does have 4 RAM slots. I don't know what Treize was talking about.

When you install the graphics card, it will disable the onboard graphics for you. :)