Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes Unless Unplugged from Ethernet

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
next time copy and paste the log in your reply it will save a little time for us and is easier to read the thread...
did you ever try booting up normally with the cable plugged in prior to booting...
how many hard drives do you have in the system...
how many devices are attached to the computer...
we should run chkdsk /r and if that doesn't fix it then run a repair...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

Edited by happyrock, 06 January 2010 - 06:17 PM.

Advertisements

arguswilson

arguswilson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you, Mr. Happyrock.

I've tried booting up normally with the cable plugged in prior to booting. The computer boots up fine, but it freezes/hangs as soon as the boot-up process is completed.

There is one hard drive.

The only device that is currently attached to the computer is a printer (via USB cable).

I'll run a repair chkdsk again (although this was one of the first things I did when the problem first arose). I suppose if that doesn't work, I'll try to repair the operating system.

Thanks again for your help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we will be here... :)

snabee

snabee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
@arguswilson - Were you able to solve the issue mate?
@happyrock - I'm facing exactly the same issue.

Please see the log file from VEW below:

=================================================
=========== START - LOG FILE FROM VEW ===========
=================================================

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 11/05/2012 19:19:52

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 07:27:59
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 3001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf
The performance counter name string value in the registry is not formatted correctly. The malformed string is WMI Objects. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the index value to the malformed string while the second and third DWORDs in the Data section contain the last valid index values.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 07:27:17
Event: 3001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf
The performance counter name string value in the registry is not formatted correctly. The malformed string is WMI Objects. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the index value to the malformed string while the second and third DWORDs in the Data section contain the last valid index values.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/05/2012 14:03:07
Event: 4107 Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file. .

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/05/2012 14:03:07
Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file. .

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/05/2012 14:00:39

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 13:43:56
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 05:41:11
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 05:39:07

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/05/2012 11:15:52

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/05/2012 11:12:00

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 13:44:21
Event: 7001 Source: Service Control Manager
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

===============================================
=========== END - LOG FILE FROM VEW ===========
===============================================

Thanks in anticipation.

ClearCan

ClearCan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, Im having the same problem. I read through the threads. Were you able to find a solution?

ClearCan

ClearCan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,
I was able to resolve it. What worked for me was to go in the command prompt and reset Winsock and firewall;
Net SH
Winsock
Reset
Then;
Net SH
Firewall
Reset
My Ethernet works fine now, hopefully this helps others.
Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: ClearCan

Thanks for posting your solution so that it may help others :thumbsup:

Warlordeli

Warlordeli

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just wanted to share that i was having a very similar problem except if i waited 4-5 minutes i could get the machine to work for a bit then it would freeze again. Ended up being a one line fix "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" from this Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 and it fixed my problem after a quck reboot.

Hope that helps someone.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Warlordeli

Thanks for posting how you resolved the issue that you were having so that it may help others :thumbsup:

TRUEBOFH

TRUEBOFH

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey so your problem is one that might only be fixable with a re-install of your OS. I know that sounds extreme and ridiculous but trust someone who is going to help fix your problem, not suggest ways of seeing if there is a problem. I don't know about you but when I post a problem I'm having on a forum in search of a solution I hope to get replies for how to fix the problem. Seems all you got were people trying to have you diagnose a problem that you clearly already did, and even gave tons of info to help in your first post. Gaaahhh. Anyway. Your hopefully simple solution is to download this http://www.softpedia...et-Repair.shtml

Check all the boxes and let it do it's thing. This app is free and is one of many that comes on Herins boot CD. If this doesn't fix your problem, you will save yourself a S---LOAD of frustration by just doing a clean install of your OS. Just save all your personal stuff to where ever (not the same partition or hard drive as your install will be) and format the drive or partition and do a clean install.

Good luck.

The real B.O.F.H.

Advertisements

Kavalex

Kavalex

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I was hoping to bring attention back to this thread (maybe argus got his problem fixed and would like to share :P).  Having same issue, if ethernet is plugged in then an immediate crash follows.
 And by crash, I mean... screen goes black, weird sounds come from speakers, no response whatsoever from holding power button down/ have to turn of power at surge box and then cry a little. On a related note, it will do the same thing... if I unplug my wireless adapter (the reason I wanted to plug up with ethernet to begin with)

And as for doing a fresh OS.. that was my first attempt at fixing this issue. I will try the other fixes and post results here.