Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro - Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

HelBel65

HelBel65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi there

What I have is a genuine version of XP but with no XP CD.

For info when I last tried to boot into RC it was from the CD image rc.iso - that is what resulted in the 'no hard disk drives' error.

The SourcePath registry setting was already set to C.

The sfc scan seemed to complete without any errors (I was away from the machine when it finished)
I looked at Computer Management and there are lots of errors and warnings dating from when my malware problems started (this month) Maybe you'd expect to see this.

I'm away from this machine for a few days now. Hope you're taking a break too!

Thanks again for your help

Happy Christmas! :)

Helen :-)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This is what i meant by you have a Recovery cd or a Recovery partition is on your hard drive.
Is it possible to borrow a XP cd of the same type you have installed on your system... Home or Pro?
Then we can try the cd with a genuine XP disk and see if we can get to the recovery Console then.

HelBel65

HelBel65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

This is what i meant by you have a Recovery cd or a Recovery partition is on your hard drive.
Is it possible to borrow a XP cd of the same type you have installed on your system... Home or Pro?
Then we can try the cd with a genuine XP disk and see if we can get to the recovery Console then.

OK I will try this, thanks.

Also, I have just done what you suggested in your previous post, run chkdisk /r from the Start/Run box instead of the command prompt, and set it to run on next reboot. When I came back to the PC it had blue screened, and subsequently did it again when I switched off and on again. These were the 2 codes.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF5252184, 0xF79CCD44, 0xF79CCA40)
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF33E6184, 0xF79CCD44, 0xF79D0A40)

Haven't seen these before.

Using Last Known Good Configuration worked in the end.

Helen

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hm that error code is a tricky one. It points to the motherboard in a lot of different ways. This could mean the controller as you took care of in malware could be a issue.

HelBel65

HelBel65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK - do you have any suggestions?

Helen :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I really think what ou need to do is a Repair Installation but that would mean you need to borrow a Xp disk of the same type you have installed. Home or Pro so that we can do this.
It seems your OS system has a problem and needs to be repaired.

HelBel65

HelBel65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes I forgot to mention that I haven't yet been able to get hold of an installation disk for XP pro. Meanwhile the PC is behaving normally apart from the RC problem so I guess I can live with it!
Thanks
Helen

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think the RC will only work through the Installation disk as stated before.
There really is no need for it unless there is some special diagnostic you want to do. In most cases the techs normally will have you use a standalone version or the installation disk to get to it.
If you could borrow a XP Pro disk just for a day then we can run the SFC again to try and fix what errors it found with the system files. This may in turn fix the RC problem also but I'm just not sure.