Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Logs on then Logs off again

• Please log in to reply

Social Nutter

Social Nutter

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I've been reading the thread here: http://www.geekstogo...Off-t15771.html and I've been having exactly the same problem with my Dell laptop.

I've run the recovery disc and followed the steps in that thread (copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe), but it hasn't solved the problem. I've also tried EXPAND E:\i386\userinit.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 but also no luck. Can anyone suggest anything else I might try to fix this?

Thank you!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Same in Safe Mode?

Social Nutter

Social Nutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, and I can't run safe mode with command prompt. Also the same with 'last good configuration'.

The problem happened after running a spyware check (as with the thread linked to above), but also just after my computer crashed and had to be turned off without shutting down first. I don't know whether the incorrect shutdown could also have caused it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you have Windows XP CD?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please have a look at this page. Burn the two CDs as described and follow the instructions.

Social Nutter

Social Nutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, I've run the repair function, following the instructions in the thread I posted the link to above:

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

and a possible solution from another forum:

EXPAND E:\i386\userinit.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

but neither of them have had any effect. Do you know of any other solutions I could try, using the recovery CD?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can't do much with recovery CD, short of reinstalling system. All your data will be gone.
What brand of computer is it?
Can you borrow real Windows XP CD?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried what I suggested in post no. 5? The method they suggest over there is the most powerful to deal with your computer's problem.

Social Nutter

Social Nutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Skeptic,

Sorry - I think you posted your reply as I was writing mine! I'll give the discs a try and see what happens, thank you!

Social Nutter

Social Nutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The discs worked - fantastic!

Thanks for the link :-)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts