Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspirion 1525 black screen

• Please log in to reply

dew714

dew714

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Been having a problem with my son's computer, an Inspirion 1525. You turn it on and you get a black screen. Other indications are as follows; tried the ctrl fn and power with the POST going fast flashing, solid, and solid (#'s lock, caps lock, and down lock)with no beeps whatsover. Same indications come after going direct a/c (battery out), swapping RAM from 1 to 2 as well as only #2 and only #1 sticks being used. No video output using the HDMI output using cntl f8. Cant boot from the cdrom either, nothing changes with cntrl + f11 for recovery. It's hard to imagine both sticks of RAM being bad, maybe a bad video card? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

dew714

dew714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I also just tried booting with no memory installed and get the same indications. Guess its time to head down to CompUSA for a couple sticks of RAM.....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try just one stick of memory at a time?
Are you getting any beep codes?
Have you tried to hook a external monitor to the laptop to see if it shows a picture?

dew714

dew714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've tried one stick at a time and then no RAM and get the same results. I get no beeps at all. I've hooked up to an external monitor with a known good laptop and got good video and with the bad laptop no video switching with f8. All I get with the fn + f8 for any indications are the flashing #'s lock and steady Caps and down lock lights...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the laptop still under warranty? If so take it to the shop and have it looked at. In my opinion it sounds like the video is gone on the motherboard or the motherboard itself has died. In either case the repair would be as much as buying a new laptop.
If system is powering on and no video not even a post screen then I would say the video chip has failed. On a laptop there is no way to replace it as it is built onboard and no way to put a add-on card in a laptop.

dew714

dew714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your prompt response as I was just walking out the door! I sort of thought with no audible beeps it may be the mobo but was looking for a second opinion as I've never had the umm, pleasure of playing with a Dell. The indicators are not covered in the Dell online matrix and with them staying the same w/o any RAM installed I was sorta hoping for a quick fix with the RAM....

dew714

dew714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
And, no, it's not still under warranty. I was promptly informed of that by the online staff at Dell yesterday. Of course, they would be more than happy to field my questions if I would like to compensate them.....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest taking it to a shop and paying the diagnostic fee which shouldn't be much and probably less then the price of new memory which may or may not work (Highly doubtful at this point).
At this point i wouldn't put any more money into it till you know for sure. I am almost 100% sure it's either a video chip or the motherboard itself. I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news the day before christmas but I don't want you to spend money if you don't have to.
Would good point is that if it is the motherboard you can still save the data ofd the drive if you replace the laptop or if you have a desktop system you can use.

dew714

dew714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Alrighty then... I'll do that after Xmas and see what they have to say. Thank you for your assistance. I will be sure to post back here so that it may help out others if they come across the same problem. Happy Holidays to you and yours...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and please do let us know how everything works out for you.

dew714

dew714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well the diagnosis is confirmed, one brand new boat anchor! The motherboard is fried. Thanks for the assistance I rec'd here.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well the point now is to find a replacement. We can help run down that also if you would like. If you can let us know what your budget looks like for a replacement we can research for you.
Also I am sorry the outcome is what it is but please as I said don't trash the system because the files can be saved as long as the hard drive is in working order.

dew714

dew714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for the offer on finding a replacement however that wont be needed. Once again, thank you for your assistance in determining the cause of the black screen. I would have splurged for the memory and found out 80 bux later it was the mobo. Have a Happy New Year!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I am glad I could save you the money on the memory.