Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD Temperature

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I just bought caviar black which I heard is a very hot hard drive. So I'd like to check out the temperature. I tried out speedfan but it doesn't give me a clear reading. I have no clue which one is my cpu, hard drive, and gpu...
Is there any other program I can use for me to be able to tell the temperature of my HD?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Providing it's not on fire and providing the case has adequate cooling in the first place, it'll be fine.
Hard drives that are in active use for long periods do get hot to the touch, but let them cool and they still work.
This particular drive is no hotter than most other drives under normal use. The heat is caused because the drive spins, the lubricant is designed to dissipate the heat, too much heat means the drive's doing too much work (which may be normal depending on what you're doing) so the heat builds up and makes the drive hot to the touch.
Your car has oil for much the same reason - dissipate the heat.

Edited by Neil Jones, 23 December 2009 - 05:20 PM.