Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Working WORD and Excel with a split screen

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Using a pc with W98 or a pc with XP…. I know how to work with two WORD documents side-by-side.

I wonder if I can also work a split screen with a WORD document on one screen and an Excel spreadsheet on the other. I would like to use the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V keys to move blocks of text from the WORD document into the spreadsheet.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Copy & Paste will work providing its the same Windows session on both screens.
And yes, you can have multiple screen setups providing you have appropriate outputs on the back of the system to start with, and have Word on one screen and Excel on another.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Neil: Many thanks. I am not quite sure of your caveat "providing you have appropriate outputs on the back of the system to start with" but it <sounds> as if I <can> do what I want to do.

Now, just how do I set up my WORD doc (say TEXT1.doc) in one screen and my Excel spreadsheet (say testbk1.xml) in the other, both on my XP pc? I don't quite see how to begin.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Are you talking about two monitors, or one monitor?

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
To clarify .... I want to work with a WORD document on the left side of my screen and an Excel spreadshet on the right side of the screen and to copy pieces of text from the Word doc to the spreadsheet.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
There are at least two ways to do it.
1st without any extra software, simply open both programs, right click on taskbar and click "Show windows side by side", or whatever it's called in XP (I'm on Vista right now).
Secondly, plenty of free programs, which will do it for you: http://www.google.co...p...gram&aqi=g1

Finally, I definitely recommend second monitor. I've been using dual screen for quite a while and I can't leave without it. If money is at stake, you can get used LCD monitor, say 19", out of Craigslist for 50 bucks.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Brioni: Second monitor? Are you talking about using two monitors (screens) attached to a single pc, with the WORD doc on one and the spreadsheet on the other? Instead of the two programs sharing a common screen? I never knew that was possible?

Where do I connect the second monitor to the pc (a laptop)?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Are you talking about using two monitors (screens) attached to a single pc, with the WORD doc on one and the spreadsheet on the other? Instead of the two programs sharing a common screen?

Exactly.
I use dual monitor with my desktop and I have an extra monitor for my laptop, as well.
In case of laptop, you simply connect it to VGA port.

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
On XP, it's called "Tile Windows [Horizontally/Vertically]". Make sure you do "Undo Tile" before shutting down or changing tiling, otherwise the windows will be stretched when put into the 'small size' thing. "De-maximizing".