Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Customer Service

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Have you experienced a bad communication with Linksys customer service representative? Or they urged you to close off communication with an excuse there's another customer to help? Have your issue with linksys product ever get resolved with their customer service?

In my experience, NO NO NO BS Linksys is a bunch of pig fat corporate that only cares about their own well being. They don't care about customer at all. Their product warranty is super short....unworthy....poor refurbished/recertified product....cheap [bleep]......high thick foreign accent that I couldn't decipher very well through telephone.....very rude when you're being nice.....also they always prioritize money over our satisfaction....

Edited by Axelion, 23 December 2009 - 06:48 PM.

Advertisements

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Hm, just a guess, but did you have a bad experience? :)

I've actually called Linksys twice (that I can recall) for issues. Both times, I felt that I was treated with respect and was pleased with the resolution. I do recognize that, often, it is difficult to understand the person on the other end of the line - especially when we are already frustrated - but, more often (in my cases, anyway) they are understandable.

As for the warranty, unfortunately, most technology products come with a very limited 1-year warranty from the manufacturer. This typically means parts are covered for 1 year, but labor is only covered for 90 days (although I have seen some as short as 30 days). Also, the warranty is limited to manufacturer defects only, which means that events such as power surges, lightning strikes, etc. aren't covered. Most places that sell these products typically offer some sort of replacement plan for $5-10, which provides exactly that - a replacement. However, working in retail and selling technology, I know that a large amount of customers think these are a waste of money. I, personally, pay the extra for the replacement guarantee every time, for I, too, have been in your situation.

Sorry, I rambled a bit there. Back to the original topic. Yes, I've dealt with Linksys, and it has been good experiences.

Elster

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Hm, just a guess, but did you have a bad experience? :)

I've actually called Linksys twice (that I can recall) for issues. Both times, I felt that I was treated with respect and was pleased with the resolution. I do recognize that, often, it is difficult to understand the person on the other end of the line - especially when we are already frustrated - but, more often (in my cases, anyway) they are understandable.

As for the warranty, unfortunately, most technology products come with a very limited 1-year warranty from the manufacturer. This typically means parts are covered for 1 year, but labor is only covered for 90 days (although I have seen some as short as 30 days). Also, the warranty is limited to manufacturer defects only, which means that events such as power surges, lightning strikes, etc. aren't covered. Most places that sell these products typically offer some sort of replacement plan for $5-10, which provides exactly that - a replacement. However, working in retail and selling technology, I know that a large amount of customers think these are a waste of money. I, personally, pay the extra for the replacement guarantee every time, for I, too, have been in your situation.

Sorry, I rambled a bit there. Back to the original topic. Yes, I've dealt with Linksys, and it has been good experiences.

Elster

Yes, I do have a very bad experience many times with linksys. Also with their refurbished product. Their product is quite expensive. I bought a new linksys network adapter that still works from 2005 until now. I like linksys product but their refurbished or so they called recertified, added -RM after their product model is just a bunch of bull...
I'm using linksys wrt54GX4 linksys router refurbished. It works okay but it has problem connecting with linksys adapter. I found out that by disabling mixed mode in their setting, I'm able to connect to the router without getting disconnected everytime. I talked to linksys customer service about this but they did not give me a definite answer instead they were saying if I'm done with their assistance...
Couple days ago I asked if this kind of adapter will work on windows 7. The representative said "OK". I was confused so I asked again "Is that yes or no" then she replied asked me back if I have anything else to ask....then I've gone furious in RL but I backed down by thanking her and leave the chat room.

This is the chat session script that I received in my email: (I replaced my name with "ME" in this chat script - sorry I'm too shy)

A representative will be joining you shortly.
Kashinath (46193) has joined this session.
ME: Hello Kashinath
Kashinath (46193): Hello ! Welcome to Linksys Live Chat. How may I help you?
ME: I just installed a windows 7 operating system tonight on one of my pc
ME: how can I make WUSB54G to work on windows 7?
Kashinath (46193): Well ME, I am afraid to inform you that WUSB54G Adapter is not compatible with windows 7 operating system as officially we have no drivers available for this adpater that works with windows 7.
Kashinath (46193): Here are some adapters that are compatible with windows 7-
Kashinath (46193): - WEC600N v1 - WUSB600N v2 - WMP600N v1 - WUSB54GC v3 - WUSB54GSC v1
ME: is linksys going to make a driver for WUSB54G?
Kashinath (46193): Our development team is working on it, however we have no idea about release time , once released , it will updated on our download website.
ME: I see
ME: hmm...I was so excited to finally use windows 7 but I can't connect to internet now
Kashinath (46193): I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Kashinath (46193): Is there anything else that I can help you with?
ME: I'm thinking to buy a wireless-N adapter
Kashinath (46193): In that case you may go for N adapter - WUSB600N v2
Kashinath (46193): That is compatible with windows 7.
ME: I really heard that WUSB54G is the most durable adapter linksys ever made. And the small usb stick doesn't last long
ME: yes, compatible with windows 7
Kashinath (46193): That's true ME.
Kashinath (46193): N adapter is expensive.
ME: I'm going to check WUSB54GSC in a minute
ME: ahh that one is with speed booster
Kashinath (46193): However WUSB54GSC is not compatible with windows 7.
ME: no wonder it has different model number
Kashinath (46193): You may go for - WUSB54GC v 3.0
ME: you listed WUSB54GSC on the devices that are compatible with win 7
ME: so I thought it's compatible
ME: you listed these devices
ME: - WEC600N v1 - WUSB600N v2 - WMP600N v1 - WUSB54GC v3 - WUSB54GSC v1
Kashinath (46193): Yes - WEC600N v1 can work with windows 7.
ME: hmm I don't know if I want to get that one
ME: I just checked from newegg online store that some linksys adapter has RM after it
ME: for example WUSB600N-RM
Kashinath (46193): Well I would recommend you to go for WUSB54GC v3 if you are looking for G adapter, however if you want to go for N series , then WUSB600N v2 is better.
ME: what is that?
Kashinath (46193): RM means refurbished products.
ME: I see
ME: I've experienced buying linksys refurbished product and it was disaster
ME: so I don't want refurbished anymore
Kashinath (46193): Ok
ME: is the usb adapter better than pci adapter?
ME: imagine it like this, WUSB600N vs WMP600N
Kashinath (46193): WMP600N is PCI adpater
ME: yes, so is it better than usb adapter?
Kashinath (46193): Well USB adapter is always easy to install thn PCI Adpaters.
Kashinath (46193): than *
ME: hmm
ME: this is confusing of which one to get
Kashinath (46193): I would suggest you to go for WUSB600N Adapter.
ME: Would it last long? I don't want to spend 85 dollars then it might fail the next year
Kashinath (46193): I am afraid these are electronic devices and we can't assume what's going to happen, if anything goes wrong , the device ma go bad.
ME: is this device compatible? WUSB300N
ME: I remember using that nostalgic device when I was taking CCNA class
Kashinath (46193): ok
ME: is that yes or no?
Kashinath (46193): I am afraid if you have no further questions about your product, please feel free to exit this Chat Session, we have assist next customers.
ME: I see, thank you very much for the assistant
Kashinath (46193): Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you through Live Chat Support. For your records, a transcript of this chat session will be e-mailed to you. Feel free to contact us if you require further assistance. Thank you for choosing Linksys and have a great day!

-I'm having a bad day because of you >.<
-fail customer service with grade of F-------

Edited by Axelion, 23 December 2009 - 08:19 PM.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I've been using Linksys routers for quite a while now, and I must say that I've been pleased with their products. As for the customer service inquiry you had, I thought that the operator helping you was helpful. He listed products that were compatible with Windows 7, and gave you a bit of insight on the USB - PCI debate. Of course, he didn't get into much detail, but that's expected with online help.

I do agree with you that being cut off was unfortunate, but I honestly don't believe the customer service you were receiving was necessarily "F" grade.