Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Blacks Out after a 5-10 minutes

• Please log in to reply

davi921

davi921

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I changed my monitor from my Dell one to my HP one that I had downstairs.. For some reason I didn't shut off my computer before unplugging the monitor but I took the monitor out even when the computer was still on. So, I heard the USB disconnection sound from my computer and I went and connected my other HP monitor. After I connected it I got a blue screen then every time I turn on my cpu after 5 or so minutes my screen begins to get lines/black/scratchy and lags; then it begins to black out. I switch my monitor back and the same problem occurs. I'm almost 100% positive it is not the monitors that are malfunctioning. Anyone have any fixes?

If I try to restart with the same monitor, it goes straight to a black out. If I switch the monitor, everything is normal up until the 5-10 minute mark. Things begin to get worse like I see lines everywhere and soon blacks out.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You might have busted your video card.
On-board video, or separate video card?

davi921

davi921

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Separate Nvidia Graphics Card

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Start with reinstalling card driver, but I doubt, it'll help.
If that's the case, remove card, re-enable on-board video in BIOS and see, if it helps.

davi921

davi921

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I think you're right about me busting my graphics card. The monitors seem fine. I just switched to another computer and the monitor is running fine.

So if anything, it is just my graphics card that is broken and not the mother board / CPU right? I could just go a purchase a new graphics card and things should be back to normal?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Restart in Safe Mode. If it works fine there, that would be a driver.
If same thing in Safe Mode...
...remove card, re-enable on-board video in BIOS and see, if it helps.

...before you spend money on a new card.

davi921

davi921

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
safe mode is fine.

I've tried installing the dell monitor driver but that didn't work either. my comp isn't willing to read / accept the driver. my monitor model is E196FPb.

should i try my video card? If so, would you recommend me uninstalling the video card (through control panel -> add / remove program) then reinstalling through my graphics card cd?

New Info: So now when I turn my computer on normally, I get the blue screen of death saying a certain file is messed up. nv4_disp So I'm assuming it is a driver problem. What would you recommend me doing?

Edited by davi921, 24 December 2009 - 07:22 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, safe mode working fine (Windows loads its own generic driver there, not nVidia driver), plus nv4_disp error indicates rather driver issue. Video card driver, not monitor driver.
Don't uninstall card itself. Download fresh video card driver, uninstall current driver and install new one.

davi921

davi921

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
To uninstall the current driver, do you recommend me going through Control Panal -> Add / Remove Program method? Can I do this in VGA mode? Seeing as how majority of the time when I load the computer normally, I run into a lot of problems.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, you have to go to Device Manager.
Start>Run, type in:
devmgmt.msc
Click OK.

Right click on your video card, click "Properties", then "Driver" tab and finally, "Uninstall" button.

You should be able to do it in Safe Mode.

After uninstalling faulty driver, you may be able to boot to Normal Mode, since Windows will load generic driver.
Graphics won't be great, but good enough to install new driver.

Advertisements

davi921

davi921

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the advice I will give this a shot and keep you posted.

davi921

davi921

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok so here's what I did.

I went into safe mode and uninstalled the current driver I have. It prompted me to restart my computer and I clicked ok. From there, I still noticed my Windows XP Screen was still the same (choppy, blurry, vertical lines through the Windows XP). Everything is fine, desktop wise. I go ahead and find the driver for my video card and install it. It prompts me to restart and I do so. However, I still experience the exact same problem. So it seems like that did not fix the problem.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, we're off to option B
...remove card, re-enable on-board video in BIOS and see, if it helps.

davi921

davi921

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
If renableing the on-board video in BIOS the option where you choose VGA mode?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What options do you have?