Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes/Bonjour

• Please log in to reply

skat80

skat80

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently purchased an iPod touch. In updating my version of iTunes, I'm hitting an error saying the program is unable to uninstall the old version of Bonjour. I am also unable to uninstall it manually, as the .exe file is not in the Bonjour folder on my C: drive. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Could you give us the exact error message?

skat80

skat80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It reads 'The older version of Bonjour could not be removed. Please contact technical support.'

When I try and uninstall Bonjour, it says its on a network resource that's unavailable.

Any ideas?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Here is what I've found so far. It looks like you can use the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the traces of the software left behind. I would highly suggest you perform a proper backup before attempting this procedure.

According to the Apple document I found, you'll want to remove only the entries associated with the following (as applicable):

Bonjour
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Support
iTunes
QuickTime

If the other programs are functioning properly, you might want to just try removing the entries associated with Bonjour. But once again, make sure you have a good backup, as you can do some damage with the MS cleanup utility if you aren't paying attention.