Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts After Accepting Files On Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Ok here's the problem...

I built a new pc (out of older parts), which is running Windows XP. I loaded it with all the goodies like anti virus software, defrag programs, registry cleaners, etc. I than install Windows Live Messenger... Alright no problem. Than I get the usual file sent by a friend be it mp3, video file, picture, etc. & than bam the computer restarts as soon as I accept the file. Shortly there after the computer has a mind of it's own and starts to reboot whenever it feels like doing so. Be it during an hour of web surfing, three hours of idling doing absolutely nothing, or once again the second I accept a file from anyone through Windows Live Messenger.

I don't understand this issue and scratch my head... So I reinstall Windows XP (mind you Service Pack 3), and use the computer with Windows Live Messenger installed without receiving any type of file for over twenty days without a single problem. Heck, even changing my Messenger screen name to ''Don't send me files''. But than ok I get curious after twenty days of no reboots and decide to accept a file from someone just for the sake of seeing if the issue still lingers. & voila what do you know? Boom the computer restarts as soon as I accept the file. & also begins to get a mind of it's own there after, even while I'm not on Windows Live Messenger. Just randomly rebooting itself whenever it feels the need to do so.

I've been bugging out about this problem for quite sometime. I know the cause but I just don't know how to fix it. The only remedy I can find is reinstalling Windows XP, installing the messenger app, but not accepting files from anyone. But come on folks this is burden some... Because I also forgot to mention the fact that not only does this happen when I accept a file. It also happens when someone sends me a file without my knowing so, and not accepting it. Yah that's right you can send me a file, I won't accept it, and boom the pc reboots and the problem begins again.

What's going on? Can someone please tell me how to tackle this issue? I desperately need to use Windows Live Messenger every single day to send and receive files, not to mention to talk to my folks who live in a far off country over the free voip services it offers. I've searched and searched to no avail for information on this, but I can't seem to strike gold. Please someone, anyone, help me tackle this mysterious issue. By the way I'm not changing messenger apps to Aol, Trillium, Skype, etc. That's out of the question... I've been a Windows Live Messenger user since 1999. It works fine on all of my other computers, including my much older pcs.

Thank You

:)

Advertisements