Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't start up

• Please log in to reply

aaomacman

aaomacman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
New computer parts came in today.. in my excitement i didn't stop working, even for food. Got everything put together, wires nice and tucked away, plugged it in.. and nothing. Actually there was some sign that it had some power, the LED on the mobo was glowing along with my mouse, and for a split second after hitting the power button the fans rotate. but only for that split second. Things worth noting is when i plugged it in, the psu power switch was already on for some reason, so it made that electrical *pop* and made my mouse and mobo glow right away. did i just fry my brand new computer?! if not, what is going on to make it only rev my fans and not finnish the boot. thanks ahead of time, even if your just the bringer of bad news.

Edited by aaomacman, 24 December 2009 - 01:28 AM.

Advertisements

Orphan_Mutton

Orphan_Mutton

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When I first plug my comp in the fans spin breifly and the lights flash, that is normal I think. After that I just have to hit the front power switch to fully power up the system. Maybe check to make sure your switch is wired up correctly or try 'hot wiring' it to see if it stays running. Good luck!

aaomacman

aaomacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well to clarify it doesn't spin the fans until i try hitting the power button. after i hit it the one time and everything acts like its going to work.. i have to hit the switch on my power supply to even get a pulse out of it again. i can hit the power button on my case a 100 times after the first attempt and won't get a thing. i guess I'll have to reread the paperwork on the mobo to see if i did anything wrong, though i swear everything went where it was supposed to go.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you have a short in the case. Try bench testing the MOBO outside of the case by doing the following.

Please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility
Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It does sound like a short someplace. Could be the board shorted to the case or a pinched wire.
The electrical "pop" bothers me.

Orphan_Mutton...The switch can't be wired backwards. It can be on the wrong pins though. If it is on the correct pins on the board, then, backwards would still work because it is only a momentary contact.

aaomacman...In very simple terms. Assuming the computer is wired correctly. With the PSU on and the computer turned off, you will see a light on the board. This light only indicates 5vdc from the PSU to the board.
When you turn on the computer the board receives a momentary contact through the header block and then to the ATX power connector. If conditions are good the the rest of the PSU turns on and supplys the remaining power to the board.
The bios starts loading its defaults and the rest of the computer will boot up.

You will not get the light on the mouse till the OS is starting to load.

123runner